Major advertisers are fleeing Twitter, says Washington Post

Originally published at: Major advertisers are fleeing Twitter, says Washington Post | Boing Boing

19 Likes

The hat suits Musk.

15 Likes

33 Likes

I guess Musk’s threat to “name and shame” advertisers who pull out hasn’t brought them to heel.

36 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/politics-musk-and-brand-safety/sharetoken/bgus2K56RdzG

"It’s not just that advertisers don’t want to be near hate speech or awful things. It goes way beyond that. They want to tell you about their brand when you’re in a good, comfortable, feel-good moment.

Here’s an example. Why do you think that even in his heyday Drudge never had anything more than low-rent, crap ads, t-shirt and supplement advertising and the like? A small bit of this is that his expenses were close to nil and his audience was so massive that just running a few low budget ads brought in good money. But the big, big reason is that even though it was a hugely, hugely popular site, premium advertisers simply don’t want to be near something that hot and contentious. Half the people are hate-reading anyway. And those who aren’t are still in an agitated state. There’s always a big inverse premium for yuck and discomfort and controversy. That’s just how the ad business works."

34 Likes

Various GOP bigwigs, including Ted “Most Unloved Man on Earth” Cruz have said they plan to pass legislation to somehow (???) require advertisers to put ads on Twitter and other Nazi-friendly websites. Or maybe just subpoena lots of people to yell at them and demand they love Elon “Middle-Aged Loaf of Wet Bread” Musk more.

27 Likes

Anyone know which companies make up the other two thirds so we can avoid their products?

28 Likes

Pillows, guns, soap, fast food, sugary soda, trucks, ginsu knives, freedom rock…

Think daytime OTA TV and what’s left on Laura Ingram’s and Tucker Swanson McNear Carlson’s programming on Fox.

18 Likes

JORDAN PETERSON (VOICE CRACKING WITH EMOTION): “Man of integrity? Why not buy a Twitter advertising package?”

15 Likes

Because corporations being answerable to the dictates of government has always been a core conservative principle.

I’m sure they don’t want to do it, but their hands have been forced by the actions of these crazed, free-enterprise-hating woke leftists like the CEOs of … (checks notes) … Jeep, Merck and Verizon?

19 Likes

Millions of us, long time Twitter power users, are closing accounts on the Twit’s New Hellscape Toy.
We are using the greatest power we have to pull the rug out from under him.

27 Likes

Some good advice seen elsewhere:

1. Lock your twitter account.
  2. Send a goodbye tweet to your mutuals.
  3. Trigger a download of your archive of posts.
    (allow 2 to 4 days for twitter to respond).
  4. Download your archive of tweets
  5. Close your account. Or let it sit dormant.
  6. Delete the app from your device.
  7. Tie a little ribbon around your twitter experience and put it in a shoebox.
35 Likes

This step can take up to a week now.

13 Likes

The delay for twitter to respond with a download of your twitter archive has been getting longer and longer.
Do it now while you still can.
The hellsite could be catastrophic by the end of the year.

19 Likes

Tesla famously doesn’t do much advertising but that might just change in the near future.

17 Likes

I know I’m going to get a lot of flak for this - but there’s absolutely no way I will be using SpaceX in the future for my orbital domination needs.

56 Likes

I used to get targeted ads on Twitter for He3.

I’d love to know what kind of profile I fit.

11 Likes

Exactly. What would I do with a re-usable ICBM anyway?

18 Likes

I like how you put a positive spin on that hypothetical, I don’t think I could have.

14 Likes

It’s best to lock your account instead of deleting it, unless you don’t mind someone else taking your Twitter username 30 days after you delete your account.

29 Likes