Twitter's premium advertisers flee as interest in the platform evaporates

Originally published at: Twitter's premium advertisers flee as interest in the platform evaporates | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Meh. UBlock Origin is still working fine. (Now, if they manage to kill that off, that’s surely what will torpedo Twitter.)

12 Likes

Asked for a comment on the report, Twitter’s press office replied with a poop emoji. /s

20 Likes

He’s not going to be able to make those eye-watering interest payments on bargain-basement ad rates from gold shillers, cryptocurrency pyramid schemes, prepper slop, and dubious health supplements.

18 Likes

Didn’t Twitter’s primary advertisers “flee” three or four times by this point? The advertisers keep abandoning it, Musk keeps firing employees, the office evictions for not paying rent and the lawsuits keep piling up, yet Twitter still exists. How?

26 Likes

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

4 Likes

Seems like it just takes a while for the chickens to come home to roost, there’s so much money involved that the collapse happens well after it’s completely bloody obvious there’s no future for the company. The company’s (and his own) reserves have to be depleted, a few loan payments have to be missed (to the point where it’s clear he’s got no plan for reversing Twitter’s fortunes)…

12 Likes

It doesn’t have to make any money. It’s owned by Lonnie and he can simply pay to keep the servers running as long as he wants.

At some point, he’ll cut his losses/get bored/find another shiny and it will collapse under the weight of complete non-functionality, but that could and likely will take years.

7 Likes

I hope it happens. It just feels like “Twitter suffers loss of advertisers for Musk’s terrible decisions” is the new “Trump will finally face any consequences whatsoever for his crimes, no really, this time we totally got him”. Over and over in a Groundhog’s Day loop of “developments” that never seem to actually develop into anything at all.

19 Likes

So what you’re saying is that we need closure. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Not paying rent and not having the staff to follow consent degrees and laws seem to imply it’s going to be less than years before it collapses.

14 Likes

You always hear people talking about Twitter as if it’s the town square. It’s a private company of course, but let’s pretend it was a standard public square. If your local town green was suddenly overwhelmed with angry shouting zealots 24/7 nobody else would go there anymore. If Musk wants advertisers on Twitter he has to make it welcoming to people besides angry zealots, because who wants to just advertise to angry zealots?

Fucking simple, and yet the boy genius doesn’t seem to get it (or else his “12-D chess” is akin to setting his house on fire to clean a messy bathroom, because “hey, I got bazillions of dollars, so like, you know fuck it.”)

13 Likes

Slowly at first then all at once.

19 Likes

With Twitter there is at least necessarily an end point because of the dynamics. Twitter is like the sink Elno brought in, filled with water and the tap turned on, but draining faster than it fills - the sink will eventually be empty (or Elno will have broken the sink into pieces). Revenue is not (and, crucially, clearly is incapable of) matching what he needs to pay in interest payments, which means at some point either Musk loses Twitter or there’s nothing left to lose.

On the other (very tiny) hand, sadly, Trump can go on not facing consequences, forever. The dynamics which allowed him to avoid consequences thus far in his life continue to be true.

11 Likes

Freudian slip in paragraph two?

4 Likes

The lawsuits for stuff like non-payment of rent, Internet services, termination lawsuits, etc, etc, are running on legal time rather than Internet time, and legal time is slow!

The major problems he’ll face due to lack of moderation, in jurisdictions that require it, run on government legal time, which is even slower. (But very very precis!)

13 Likes

Not sure if BB is in a position to gloat about the low-rent advertisements on Twiddle.

6 Likes

Last I checked, BB wasn’t a major media company bought for $44B

25 Likes

I still have my account.

I don’t really use it unless I’m getting linked into a particular Tweet. No more searching and scrolling.
Mastodon’s coming along pretty nicely and filling that gap, as many of my favorite follows have made the transition.

10 Likes

You don’t even need it for that. I killed my account around the time TFG was reinstated and have no problems going to links for tweets.

8 Likes