Almost all major advertisers have fled Elon Musk's Twitter, new data shows

Originally published at: Almost all major advertisers have fled Elon Musk's Twitter, new data shows | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“Checkmate!”, crows Musk. “In 5 dimensions!”, Yaccarino adds.

16 Likes

What kind of advertising does ten bucks over the course of three months even buy? You couldn’t even get a college student to hand out fliers for an hour for that.

14 Likes

I’m guessing it was an interest payment from a prior payment or something, or maybe cleanup of a rounding error. Perhaps a currency exchange fee?

19 Likes

I’ve heard it mentioned that it might be just a rounded up twitter checkmark subscription there.

17 Likes

the vampyre was bled out thusly

7 Likes

“This […] we have not seen before for any major advertising platform,”

Soon to be a quote in something Musk writes trying to spin it.

8 Likes

Despicable Me Banana GIF

28 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of upside for major advertisers. There’s no knowing what kind of crazy shit your ad will be near, administratively the company is still a mess, the user base is still declining, and who knows if the they’re not going to be bankrupt in a year. No one is going to make a big ad investment in that.

13 Likes

A little more specific addition to the “crazy shit” that really does need to be called out -

Who knows what the deranged owner will say about your brand if he decides he doesn’t like something you do.

11 Likes

I think that is covered by ‘administrative mess’.

4 Likes

I do not know you, but I do not even use Twitter anymore for anything. The newspapers I read are out of it, the interesting guys I followed are also out. Everything I see is Onlyfans girls promoting, crazy politics discussion and MAGAs doing what MAGAs do. I do not even have an account anymore. That place is dead.

10 Likes

Perhaps Musk has lured back most of the major advertisers with fire sale prices…“for $10 you can get whatever you bought 12 months ago, come on guys, $10!”

…that or Visa paid $10 to keep their blue check mark?

9 Likes

Just look at it!

6 Likes

I guess being “puzzled” by something is the polite way to say it’s an obvious lie, huh?

7 Likes

LOL :rofl:

11 Likes

I don’t understand how people are surprised by a highly erratic CEO known for making unfounded claims that have repeatedly gotten the attention of the lax Securities and Exchange Commission.

8 Likes

It’s been a few hours now so surely it’s time for him to have a massive meltdown on Twitter blaming [Democrats/Jews/BBC/transpeople] with his tame blue checked monkeys coming along to whisper sweet nothings into the tormented genius’s ear?

7 Likes

I confess I can never get enough of stories of exTwitter’s downfall. Shutting down Elno’s attempt to create a fashy playground can’t happen quickly enough. (Unfortunately I still read a number of accounts that haven’t yet found communities/audiences elsewhere, but hopefully if Xitter goes down quickly, communities will migrate, more or less intact, somewhere less problematic.)

It would be hilarious if the straw that breaks the camel’s back, wrt advertising, turns out to be “advertisers couldn’t trust the new, supposed adult, CEO because she was outright lying about advertising.”

I’d think that the major brands have been off Twitter long enough that they probably realize it hasn’t hurt their sales any to be off it. I feel like at some point there’s going to be a mass acknowledgement that that’s true of the web as a whole (because of the scale of the shenanigans around ads not even being seen by people, much less having an impact) and the web-as-we-know-it will collapse.

8 Likes

“It’s one Visa ad, Michael. What could it cost? $10?”

15 Likes