Almost all major advertisers have fled Elon Musk's Twitter, new data shows

“… found that X’s US ad revenue has dropped 55% or more EACH month since Musk’s takeover”.
I did the math for you people: twelve months after Mush’s takeover the result will be (1 - 0.55)^12 = 0.007%. That’s a negligible revenue.

1 Like

I hate defending him, but I read that as 55% compared to the same month the year previous. Since he started in October, that means it’s probably down to 25% of what it was before he started. I think 0.007% would be a lot bigger news.

6 Likes

Also, WTF is up with the Rommell avatar? Like… why have a shitty nazi as your avatar?

13 Likes

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Doh, I owe @mindysan a coke!

8 Likes

coca cola coke GIF

11 Likes

$10 probably buys a few hundred or thousand impressions I would guess.

My better guess is that it’s a small price to pay to keep the account from being marked INACTIVE and losing a special ad rate or status if they have one.

In which case, it’s really a placeholder for something they got out of Twitter, and might get again if this turns around somehow.

6 Likes

“Ebiquity’s analysis has led to “serious concerns about the trustworthiness of public statements made by Musk and Yaccarino,””

Whew, I’m relieved that has been settled!

6 Likes

His math sucks, too. If it dropped by 55% each month, that’s a 99.92% decrease in one year.

4 Likes

winona-ryder-confused-maths

But what does Rommell think of the maths… /s

4 Likes

I fail to see where they’ve made the arithmetic mistake. Where are you getting that number?

4 Likes

But Rommel was in the Wehrmacht, which means he wasn’t a nazi, just a loyal German! /s

1 Like

They claim the decrease is 0.007%.

A 55% decrease each month for a year is (1/0.55)^12 decrease, or 1350 times decrease, or a 99.92% decrease.

It checks out logically, too. If your sales are cut in half each month, you’ll have almost no sales at the end of a year.

2 Likes

He didn’t say decrease, he said it was down to 0.007%, which is right.

55% decrease means 45% remaining, or 0.45^12 remaining after the year, which is 0.007% or a 99.993% decrease. I was taught to always work with the remaining, not the decrease.

4 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

(yes, I see and acknowledge your /s! :wink:).

Still a nazi… but i know, some people give him a pass because he was a “brilliant tactician”… BUT… HE DID COOL WAR THINGS… /s I mean, who cares if he found new and innovative ways to kill people? How fucking boring is that a metric to admire people over?

8 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah, for my calculation I should have used 0.45 instead of 0.55 to get to the same result.

But that’s not how I read his post. I think he meant only 0.007% reduction. If not, it was worded very strangely, like he was defending Musk.

2 Likes

Has anyone done an analysis breakdown of what kind of suckhole advertisers are remaining?

People probably won’t notice a lack of major advertisers, but they will notice a flood of ads for penis pills on the blockchain.

3 Likes

I thought it right away, and will buy us a round of

Cuba Libres.

5 Likes

Just so no one else has to, I scrolled through the X-bird site for the first time in…well…not long enough. I scrolled through about 100 tweets and found about 12 ads. Most of them were for gross drop-shipping crap. Two were for tech companies that are reasonably large and well-known.

One was this (ok…who doesn’t love oreos):

And this one! A recruitment ad for Canada’s spy agency? Why?..Why???

What’s most shocking to me now is how many ads there are. Back in the day (last year), there were maybe less than 1/3 of the number.

5 Likes

Dammit, this still makes me sad. Twitter in the early 2010s was awesome. Comedians telling jokes, musicians posting demos, all kinds of great parody accounts, all the major news organizations, niche clubs for whatever you needed.

Then came Trumpism and all the bullshit that entailed, all the cancel culture crap, and now Elon burning it to the ground.

Fscking sucks.

5 Likes