Twitter ad numbers plummet! Visa bought just $10 in ads in last 12 weeks, according to report

Originally published at: Twitter ad numbers plummet! Visa bought just $10 in ads in last 12 weeks, according to report | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I emailed press@twitter.com to ask for a comment on the report and received the following reply: “Busy now, please check back later.”

What, no poop emoji? Yaccarino is gonna be in trouble with the boss.

19 Likes

$10 is basically nothing for both parties involved. It would have made more sense to spend nothing at all.

ETA: word correction

9 Likes

My guess is that Yaccarino went begging to the marketing departments of these big companies, asking them to “please clap”. This was the shriveled bone they threw to her.

13 Likes

What does $10 get you? A sponsored tweet seen by 3 people?

8 Likes

Yakko to shut up and leave your office? $10 is nothing in comparison!

13 Likes

Such tiny amounts of spend look more like accidental than a real campaign

12 Likes

So, by the end of the year Xitter will begin using Kickstarter?

8 Likes

A banana?

18 Likes

9 Likes

6 Likes

Goodness - what could their excuse be?

Today:

Over the last 24 hours, a Reliable Sources review found advertisements for a cohort of major companies and organizations have appeared directly on the verified profile account of VDARE, an openly racist, white supremacist outlet that publishes some of the most vile content on the internet.

Those companies and organizations include Amazon, Samsung, the Denver Broncos, Cox Communications, STARZ, The Wall Street Journal, The Michael J. Fox Foundation, the University of Missouri, New York Waterway, Axios, Puck, Ad Age, Morning Brew, and the Asian Development Bank.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/05/media/x-advertisements-reliable-sources/index.html

5 Likes

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

5 Likes

I would honestly not be surprised if revenue by particular advertisers was down 99.9% because Twitter (secretly) dropped their ad rates that much (to retain any advertising at all). Most of the ads I see there are scams, bogus internet storefronts and dudes promoting their rando Twitter accounts (in ineffective ways), and I suspect they’re paying more than VISA is. Musk’s first action as owner was to shit the bed wrt the advertisers, and he’s been getting increasingly desperate to retain any at all. I think he gave up on getting any revenue from them, feeling it was more important to retain them in some form to maintain the site’s appearance of legitimacy (until he can transform it into… whatever his plan is).

It’s the only explanation as to why any advertisers would come back, given the loss of users and the site’s slide into being such a Nazi clusterfuck.

Yaccarino is really turning things around and being professional by replacing the poop emoji with a simple admission that there’s no press office. You know the adults are in charge now!

Unless $10 buys you what $1000 would have previously. (Or at least what $100 would have bought.)

4 Likes

What does $10 worth of ads on Twitter even look like?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the only change she was able to do. And the baby in charge probably objected to it anyway.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.