Elon Musk poisons the well for Twitter's advertisers

Originally published at: Elon Musk poisons the well for Twitter's advertisers | Boing Boing

11 Likes

c4083adf770fd3439957ae98c9bdfbc2745cff69_2_367x500

65 Likes

Beyond not understanding Twitter, it is pretty clear Musk does not understand advertising

With his scolding “if this continues” tone, I’m not sure if he understands the general power dynamic between a business and its paying customers.

57 Likes

If TESLA won’t advertise on Twitter, why should anyone else?

42 Likes

Silly boy is about to find out that the grown-up business people only like him and give in to his whims when he makes them money. Not when he makes them lose money.

37 Likes

Or to quote a fictional character from the world of totally unchecked capitalism:

Johnny Ola:
Hyman Roth always makes money for his partners. One by one, our old friends are gone. Death, natural or not, prison, deported. Hyman Roth is the only one left, because he always made money for his partners.

15 Likes

He’s taunting Twitter users so that he can quote them when they say it’s a dystopian hellscape so that he can push the idea that Twitter should unquestioningly accept his management “solutions”.

7 Likes

Also conservative boycotts never work.

“I’m mad at the NFL! I’m boycotting football!”
(continues watching football)
“Well, I gotta know if the Cowboys are winning!”

“I’m mad at Budweiser! I’m boycotting Budweiser!”
(continues buying Budweiser)
“Umm. I forgot.”

“I’m mad at Hamilton! I’m boycotting Hamilton!”
(Hamilton continues to be sold out for next three years)

“I’m mad at Disney! I’m boycotting Disney!”
(they’ve been screaming this for at least 30 years, and fucking Disney continues to own entertainment)

“I’m mad at Keurig! I’m gonna buy a coffee maker and smash it! Then I’m gonna buy another and smash it!”
(Keurig CEO: “Oh noooo. Stop. Help. However will we survive.”

35 Likes

66 Likes

17 Likes

Slow motion? This has got to be a speed record for burning $44B. He’s tanking it a lot more quickly than I expected

35 Likes

To be candid, ruining Twitter could be Musk’s greatest accomplishment. For at least 7-8 years, Twitter has had a net negative impact on society. There are plenty of valuable conversations on the app, but they’re for outweighed by the toxicity. The armies of bots and sock puppets working for governments, political organizations, and PR firms to control and frame public perception has been critical to the divisiveness that plagues most of the Western world.

I’d love to see Musk’s massive blunder take Twitter to the ground.

45 Likes

Don’t forget this gem too

40 Likes

I say, I say, I say, when is the American flag a Red Flag?

Curious notion: the American flag used in a twitter handle (or any kind of social media handle) is actually a red flag.

26 Likes

The amount of advertising on Twitter is barely a ripple when compared to Facebook and Instagram. The advertisers aren’t impacted in the least by pulling out of Twitter.

20 Likes

Let’s wait and see.

eyes-manyeyes

17 Likes

The idea that “activist groups” can “pressure advertisers” is so weird. Advertisers are only going to listen to their audience. If their audience is saying they don’t like this platform, they will move. That’s not “pressure”, it’s just rational business. The idea that advertisers are some pawn in a political game is so silly. They are following the money and the audience for their products, nothing more.

The implication, of course, is that these “activists” are a minority and thus it isn’t fair to influence advertisers this way. Of course, there’s zero rational reason for an advertiser to listen to any minority, which is why conservative boycotts never work.

53 Likes

21 Likes

Elon “Paedo Guy” Musk; the shit -throwing gibbon of the business world.

18 Likes

Activist groups did meet with advertisers to try to persuade them to hold off making big commitments to Twitter. But it is true that that is only effective because the brand managers can see what is right in front of them, potentially threatening their brand image.

12 Likes