Elon Musk poisons the well for Twitter's advertisers

Umm… Isn’t using a nuclear option a bad thing for all parties?

10 Likes

Precisely why I never used Twitters, my brand is to valuable to me. (snicker)

11 Likes

Yes, but in this case the activist groups are representing the audience in question. Advertisers wouldn’t listen to them otherwise, which is again why conservative boycotts never work.

16 Likes

The 4-D chess fanbois have completely disappeared. Either they are sitting back WAITING for the moment when the whole plan crystallizes and we’re stunned into accepting Pedo-Guy as God-Emperor, or they are just crying in their Teslas.

32 Likes

Funny thing is that several of the advertisers in question have called out Musk on the subject, and been banned for it. And business reporting is loaded with chatter from advertising and marketing companies, including details of that meeting the other day.

And it’s a pretty consistent line that they’re not cutting ties because their audience is moving on. Their concerns are about moderation.

They don’t want to operate on or advertise on a platform where any goon with $8 can masquerade as the verified McDonald’s account. They don’t want their ads running over “documentaries” pushing blood libel. They don’t want to pay for ad views and data from millions of bots and sock puppets. And they don’t want to see their accounts shutdown and their ads disappear cause the Chief Executive Shit Lord is momentarily displeased.

Everything Musk is on about right now fundamentally undermines the pitch for Twitter as a good place to stick ads.

51 Likes

This is the likeliest of outcomes, so sad.

10 Likes

I’m no marketing expert, but I imagine advertisers would have trouble trusting the judgement of a person who sells flamethrowers to a nation already on fire.

11 Likes

Further than that, isn’t this how a free market is supposed work? Consumers “voting” with their dollars (rather than government regulation keeping our corporations in check)?

But the corporate world is weird, profits rule and customers are a necessary nuisance.

20 Likes

It’s a smart rat who leaves before the ship sinks.

5 Likes

Not many of them own Teslas. THat’s for when they become millionaires.

4 Likes

37 Likes

Which is why conservatives hate when companies “support” social movements such as BLM. Not because the companies actually care or are taking a position, but because it demonstrates unequivocally where society is and is heading, and who has the clout.

39 Likes

Having sacked the senior executives in charge of major accounts, the major accounts who place their ad buys months ahead and who held off to see what Musk was going to do, held a meeting with Musk for guidance. His opening statement was basically “So what is the plan?” Needless to say, they chose to wait and see.

So – how does Musk distinguish the “intimidated” from the “cautious” in this “thermonuclear name & shame?”

10 Likes

Until he wasn’t left.

7 Likes

he doesn’t. you’re either feeding his ego, or you’re the enemy.

they have to, he’s the owner. their only other option is to leave… or form a union i guess… :thinking:

9 Likes

“The beatings will continue until morale improves.”

14 Likes

“Service with a smile”

8 Likes

“Name and shame the advertisers who are succumbing to the advertiser boycotts.”

Given Musk’s knack for getting things wrong, things should get interesting if he throws in “names” for those who have never advertised on Twitter.

10 Likes

The biggest boycott they organized was the one against Nike for daring to use Colin Kaepernick in commercials. It utterly failed as a boycott. No one cares if conservatives boycott shit. It barely nudges the profit line.

I’m just sitting here eating popcorn watching his fan base flail around for all the reasons why this is really smart business acumen and not complete vindication for everyone who has said Musk has gotten here through sheer dumb luck and being born rich.

popcorn

26 Likes

tesla doesn’t have an advertising budget…

1 Like