Elon Musk poisons the well for Twitter's advertisers

Ah yes, Conservatives announcing they weren’t ever going to buy something that they weren’t buying anyway. Like , I don’t think I see conservatives getting hyped up for the Jordan Air Force Ones.

9 Likes

The slow-motion trainwreck continues to get worse and worse.

It seems up to speed to me. :thinking:

8 Likes

Threatening to establish a 100 million person boycott against a company specifically for NOT BUYING THE SERVICE YOU ARE SELLING must be against the law.

“Give me money or I will tell 10’s of millions of people to not buy from you.” is extortion.

14 Likes

Threatening your former customers who are not contractually bound to you doesn’t have to be illegal, as it comes with its own immediate punishment – nobody else will ever do business with you. It’s suicidal. It is so completely stupid that it doesn’t need a law.

However, it is a violation of his fiduciary responsibility to protect his shareholders’ investment. Every other remaining shareholder (like the Saudis he conned into investing with him) should be filing a class action lawsuit against him.

Furthermore, his other companies are also suffering steep losses in their share prices, because investors are afraid the next stupid thing coming out of his tweet-hole might tank their stocks, too. So that’s a lot of other people who should be lining up to sue his irresponsibly stupid ass, and their boards for continuing to keep him on as CEO.

22 Likes

How does the saying go? When you owe the bank a million the bank owns you, when you owe somebody nicknamed “prince bonesaw” billions, he owns many tiny pieces of you

26 Likes

He doesn’t have a fiduciary responsibility to these people anymore as twitter is no longer publicly traded and his agreements with investors are private between them.

18 Likes

I just dusted off my Tumblr.

11 Likes

Is that a euphemism?

Think Tv Land GIF by HULU

23 Likes

The Guardian is reporting that Twitter is desperately trying to rehire some of the people it spent Friday firing as the Edgelord in Chief now realises they had certain key skills he needs.

(Edit: Found a Bloomberg link - paywalled):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-06/twitter-now-asks-some-fired-workers-to-please-come-back#xj4y7vzkg

Musk’s 4D chess genius sure looks like Liz Trussian incompetence to us outsiders.

24 Likes

Exactly! All this whining about “wokeness” is just sour grapes about losing the culture war. Companies wouldn’t cater to it if they didn’t have to (god knows companies don’t do anything they don’t absolutely have to for profit).

29 Likes

Give credit where it is due - he is fucking this up so much faster than I thought he would.

33 Likes

meanwhile of course, nike’s co-founder is pouring millions into the oregon’s governor campaign to try to stop the dems from winning. it’s nice for billionaires to be able to play both sides when it serves their purpose.

20 Likes

The death watch is already underway.

25 Likes

Christine Ebersole Burn GIF by CBS

6 Likes

I think most of us here knew Musk wasn’t actually a genius. You listen to him talk about AI or space travel and he plainly has only the vaguest idea of what those involve. However, I have to admit it’s been a little surprising to discover he doesn’t even understand

– programming
– contracts
– management
advertising

I mean, I kind of thought he might at least have the sort of knowledge your average idiot MBA might have, but…here we are.

33 Likes
9 Likes

He’s certainly made good on his promise to turn Twitter around in record time…. He just didn’t tell us which direction he’d turn…

22 Likes
6 Likes

Speaking of Truss, if a cabbage outlasted her, someone should start the clock on whether Musk can outlast a musk melon.

17 Likes

It really is shocking how much he manages to fail upwards. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what he is good at? Being born into blood diamond wealth, I guess. He really nailed that.

29 Likes