Elon Musk begging users to like advertiser's tweets

Probably not as awful as the American attempt to remake Fawlty Towers with Harvey Korman.

8 Likes

Wait, so he’s saying that I shouldn’t be blocking every ad I see?

3 Likes

Many of the “weird nerds” who regularly jump to his defense at the slightest criticism of their God-emperor identify as incels who admire him as an aspirational figure. He’s leaned into it now and then.

9 Likes

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

8 Likes

… Marlon Brando as Basil Fawlty :thinking:

8 Likes

schitts creek goodbye GIF by CBC

6 Likes

Ah thanks. I wouldn’t take his word even in this case. So he has an incel fanbase, but is he driving trollies them or catering to their opinions? Do i really care?

Edit: “driving trollies”

i didn’t write that. i did write driving trollies and when i edit this post it still shows “driving trollies”

Does BoingBoing has a stealth autocorrect? Oh it happens again. i guess i stumbled over a ■■■■■ word :crazy_face:

1 Like

That’s weird. Their only customer is the US government, so they have zero reason to advertise. What an obvious sleeze move to prop up one of his companies with another one.

12 Likes

Obviously they’re advertising that Elon can funnel money from tax payers over to Twitter

14 Likes

Starlink is part of SpaceX

5 Likes

To me the bigger problem and the reason I don’t really like to see incel used this way is that it’s become shorthand for misogyny which is ultimately just continuing the false narrative that the underlying problem here is that men are not getting enough sex out of women. Especially when this term is applied to a man who basically treats women like incubators and probably has done much much worse. Just call them misogynists. That’s what they actually are.

11 Likes

I think Elon buying Twitter started as a stunt, developed into a contract, and by the time he scrambled to back out of the deal, Twitter had a strong case to enforce the deal. Elon’s been floundering ever since.

6 Likes

Coming soon -

“Pardon me sir, have you seen this ad from one of our sponsors? It’s really interesting. Would you kindly :heart: this for me? Thanks so much!”

7 Likes

Ah okay. That makes some sense, then.

5 Likes

I haven’t figured that out (well, like you say, in this case it might just be assholery). The D.C. area news radio station (at least, when I had a substantial commute) used to run ads for the F-35 and whatever was supposed to replace the KC-135. Like the average commuter is going to think, “well shucks, I sure could use an airborne tanker!”

And…

4 Likes

I guess I would assume that’s the usual defence contractor PR drivel. Trying to manage their public image. Like when oil companies run TV ads that talk only about how they’re an “energy company” and show little white girls planting flowers on a summer day.

9 Likes

Well, given the gun culture, the average commuter is waay more likely to want the F-35

7 Likes

In DC the audience for defence contractor ads is surely politicians. They want to remind the Congresscritters of the thousands of jobs that they create, which will disappear if the Pentagon doesn’t buy the (insert name of tank/missile/fighter/whatever).

4 Likes

Definitely. That’s also why the advertisements on the Sunday morning politics shows are mainly feel-good lobbying spots from the defense contractors, the fossil fuel industry, agribusiness, and big pharma.

4 Likes

I guess that’s the same principle as the “for your consideration” movie billboards in LA. Scatter them widely enough and you’re going to consciously or unconsciously influence a few members of the academy/pentagon decision makers.

7 Likes