Twitter "seriously considering" Musk buyout after initially rejecting it

Originally published at: Twitter "seriously considering" Musk buyout after initially rejecting it | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Do it. It’ll finally get me off that site, freeing up time I could spend more productively on my stories.

19 Likes

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

I look forward to the improved moderation of hate speech.

27 Likes

The money is talking, and it seems to be expressing the sentiment that there should be renewed competition for the most toxic centralised social media platform run by a feckless billionaire.

19 Likes

If they reject the offer, stockholders will obliterate them. If they take it, I suspect many employees will rebel. But there are always more grunts to replace them.

7 Likes

Hate speech will be cracked down on.
However it’ll be redefined to mean any speech hating on Elon or any of his companies.

13 Likes

Yeah, I put that in the hidden text under my gif.

12 Likes
16 Likes

I actually like Twitter. I’m going to miss it like crazy. I know people keep mentioning Mastodon, and micro blog, and other Balkanized social networks, but I find someone new to follow who I actually like about once a week, because Twitter is so vast.

I know there’s a lot of toxic sludge on Twitter, but doesn’t that just prove that it’s an accurate cross-section of society?

6 Likes

Mastadon isn’t really Balkanised. It’s de-centralised and federated, which means as long as the user isn’t a member of a pariah node (e.g. a fascist one, or a free-speech absolutist chan-style cesspool of tr0lls like a Musk-owned Twitter would be) they can access users in all other nodes.

There are still real issues preventing a move of a critical mass of end-users from centralised platforms to de-centralised and federated ones, but once enough of them were on they’d see very little difference in terms of reach.

Not really. Twitter and Facebook are force-multiplier megaphones for toxic elements of society who used to be relegated to the fringe.

19 Likes

giphy

13 Likes

So that’s how [a] (virtual) world will end, not with a bang but with a [cha-ching!]

12 Likes

Won’t just be little folks like us dithering about Twitter - if he starts fucking around then big companies may have to re-think their use of it as well.

If only someone else was developing a similar app for the free exchange of ideas and ideology and plans and schematics and escape routes and legal theories and medical theories. God help us if Trump’s app is that alternative.

Me, I’ll go back in the cave and scratch shit into the walls.

2 Likes

Imagine being the richest person in the world and spending your time trying to impress people by tweeting like a 14 year old boy

17 Likes

30 Likes

It might not be so bad if early social media companies hadn’t been allowed to form monopolies in the first place.

17 Likes

Oh come on, they tried nothing at all, and they’re out’a ideas. /s

10 Likes

come-on media: “ey Musk! If you buy twitter will you let trump back in to twitter all his vile evil delusions again!?”

3 Likes

It would be hilarious if this “seriously considering his offer” turned out to be just a trolling effort.

3 Likes

two for one deal on memes today
FB_IMG_1650681085683

15 Likes