Britain's most remote community gave up their unique way of life in 1930

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/13/britains-most-remote-communi.html

2 Likes

St Kilda is also a suburb of Melbourne. For a long time I wondered who St Kilda was, failing to find them in an online dictionary of hagiography (spoiler: there was no St Kilda - it’s thought to have originally been something Norse.) until one day I found a book about the island of St Kilda at a flea market. Such a relief!

4 Likes

Is it just me, i did not get the player, on the boing boing page i had to go to the podcast home page, as much as i love Futility Closet, i dont really listen to pod casts and so only ever listen to it when its linked to on boingboing…

1 Like

Its funny because I have heard a lot of speculation over the years about the origin of the name but now it seems obvious.

We’ve got certain embeds automatically disabled after the recent hack, it’ll be fixed soon. I’ve added a clearer link to the podcast for now.

2 Likes

True story. There is/was a Brit radar station on St Kilda even after it was abandoned. Operators did stints of a few weeks there. A buddy who was doing a stint there told me that one day a boat arrives from the mainland and a team of crack roadsign experts roll into town and erect a bunch of Stop signs at the islands only road junction.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.