Britain's new plastic money so hi-tech it can play vinyl records

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/11/britains-new-plastic-money-s.html

2 Likes

Rob, please write a book!

18 Likes

Neat.

I had a great idea many years ago in design class, where the money would be printed on Tyvek, which is that non-tearable paper some envelopes are made out of.

My other idea was on the back of the $1 bills have a space to sell ads. So you can sell advertising space. Literally make money making money.

7 Likes

What Brits will soon be saying about plastic money if they aren’t already:

• if you’re one of those people who carries loose cash in a pocket, the notes are too slippery, making it easy to lose your money when you take anything else out of your pocket
  • careful, you could melt your money in the dryer!
  • new notes tend to stick together (maybe some static electricity action happening).

Source: all of the above complaints were common when polymer notes were introduced in Canada. Once they circulate a bit and get some dirt and creases (they don’t crease easily, but they do crease), the notes get easier to handle. I don’t know if they really can melt in the dryer (and I’m not about to test) but I suspect heat is no worse for these bills than it is for paper ones.

In Canada, there was also an urban legend that the C-note was scratch-and-sniff, so you could tell a real one from a fake by checking to make sure that it smelled like maple syrup. Maybe the Brits will have a version of this one with fish-and-chips or lager or farts.

21 Likes

All we’re missing is cheap bendable screens so we can have animated gifs in our money.

8 Likes

And they’re so much cheaper to buy, too!

4 Likes

We bought a tyvek envelope for my baby when she was in her paper/cardboard/everything chewing phase. Apparently she can smell a counterfeit a mile away though, and never took an interest…

4 Likes

13 Likes

12 Likes

Plastic money? What next, paper credit cards?

My God, you people are adorable.

20 Likes

Every time i try to use money on shit i don’t need this will be on mine

6 Likes

But can you Spock them?

5 Likes

You can “play” a record just as well using the tip of a fingernail.

2 Likes

Brilliant! They would fall apart before you could max them out!

7 Likes

I recognize that recording. It’s from “The Sound of Brexit.”

5 Likes

And gullible, don’t forget gullible.

5 Likes

Well, it makes a sound, but it’s a far cry from actually playing a record. And it doesn’t take much to play an analog vinyl recording. When I was a very young child, I had a handed-down record player. Electricity was only used to rotate the turntable. The “speaker” was the playback head, which was basically a sewing needle attached to the piece of tinfoil. The head was quite heavy, since a great deal of pressure was needed for playback.

Not the exact model, but really close…

5 Likes

Doesn’t even need electricity.

5 Likes

Actually, neither did the one I had. There was a hole for a handle, so you could crank the turntable manually, but it had long since been lost.

6 Likes

That comment was like a really sad William Carlos Williams poem…

4 Likes