British art museum removes a famous 1869 painting of Femme Fatale nymphs

The best response to art is more art.

Denying the public access to art, even temporarily, is anti-art.

1 Like

I think that you are right. The real scandal is that they paid for such a dull and featureless painting. It’s historical maybe but so are our times that I wish to be able to forget soon.

Its part of the story of the Argonauts. It’s a story old enough to be called ancient. It’s basically about a bunch of dudes looking for a magical artifact. Sort of the proto high-fantasy story and to this day high-fantasy stories have a probllem with portreying women as either evil villains, seductresses, or conquests. Or, as in this case, as pretty much all three at once. The painter made this picture after reaching a point in his carreer where he was famous enough to not need paying jobs. He pretty much just wanted to paint some nudes.

3 Likes

by all means, please tell women how to properly be feminists.

8 Likes

It has been put back. The gallery claim it was intended to provoke discussion related to their next exhibition.

It certainly worked, didn’t it? The Manchester City Art Gallery hasn’t had this much publicity in decades!

5 Likes

Off topic, but the glue of sticky notes destroys art and written artifacts over time. They’re banned in the Ewell Sale Stewart Library and many others.

1 Like

The new Victorianism…?

1 Like

Maybe I went a bit over the top there, inviting misunderstanding. I merely believe that language and culture ultimately follow economical facts, and not the other way around; and that the postmodern fixation on words and discourse leads nowhere politically, and is a sign of weakness in any movement, not of strength; and that this is applicable to gender equality just as to any other societal topic or movement. If you believe that me voicing that opinion is in some way detrimental or out of line, I find that regrettable.

2 Likes

You’re certainly welcome to your views. I feel I’m welcome to mine as well.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.