British General Election 2019: Just Exactly How Fucked Are We?

When the Green Party were polling at ~5% in 2015, having won a seat in 2010, they struggled to get coverage from the BBC. When Ukip were polling at a similar percentage in previous elections with no MPs they were getting regular coverage and interviews. Now we are seeing the Brexit Party get the same treatment that Ukip did.

Can you understand why I might think they are biased?

6 Likes

When the Health and Social Care act was passed, and they hived off huge chunks of the NHS to Capita, Branson, et al, what was the headline story? One Direction splitting up, that’s what. Fuck the BBC.

3 Likes

Yes. Can you understand why I think they cannot win?

Local Tory party chairman says vote Labour.

All right, former chairman.

5 Likes

This is the oddest timeline…

3 Likes

There’s some hope yet, I guess. I wish our constituency’s Tory Chair would do the same with our head-banging, no-deal WTO Tory MP.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Edit: Let’s try again

The list of previous editors of the Spectator is a list of right wing journalism, with one individual standing out.

4 Likes

This is more a PSA than a general comment, but if the news starts getting too much to cope with then there are people out there to help

6 Likes

A reminder of how shit the British press can be

7 Likes

what if that 50 pence makes all the difference?

2 Likes

The Beeb replayed archive footage from 2016 of Boris Johnson laying a Remembrance Day wreath, but you can see the real footage at metro.co.uk.

In 2016 he looked vaguely sane and suited up. This year he is a shambling mess, and lays the wreath the wrong way round. He also jumped the gun and started to move when the troops were ordered to stand at ease, rather than the appropriate moment (he had to go back and stand next to Corbyn - apparently)

I’m coming to the view the BBC is riven by factions. The liberals amongst them are timid, while the populo-fascists sitting openly in plain view are not.

The UK is declining - this feels like the tipping point between being able to use world wars and empire as proof of innate worth, and basically being Italy Mark II.

3 Likes

Give us PR (oh, PLEASE give us PR) and, of course, we may end up looking a lot more like Italy. But it’s got to be better than the current ‘minority winner takes all’ method.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Yep, but it’s not gonna happen under Labour or the Cons.

PR is the solution (although Farage apparently picked up 4m votes in the 2017 election?).

But the “First Past The Post” (FPTP) system is a massive gerrymander designed to rig the system.

The UK population is waking up to various realities they’ve been living with unknowingly. The next reality is increasing poverty, of that I’m sure.

There has been a steady disassembly since at least 2008 of the critical institutions of a functional democracy.

It all seems so … $oviet.

2 Likes

This was appalling. He is a mess. A system is holding that walking omnishambles up as its marionette. I reckon he may well be a narcissist with little to save him in the end.

As a side note, I saw the circular chalk marks instructing them where to place their wreaths. That was kind of funny.

2 Likes

Yep. They’re biased.

4 Likes

This must be a coordinated effort; who is behind this disgusting attempt to suppress votes?

2 Likes

I doubt that it’s coordinated. All it needs is to be spotted by a few idiots on twitter, then the mob mentality takes over.

3 Likes

It just seems to me that “students registering is bad” is such an odd position that someone must be pushing it (as the Republicans do pretty openly in the US).

1 Like