British General Election 2019: Just Exactly How Fucked Are We?

The story is that the law says a student can register both at home and college addresses because elections may or may not happen in vacations or term time. They may only vote in one place, of course.

Idiots of twatter seem to think academics pointing this out, because for many the election is a day before end of term, are actually encouraging students to vote twice. They neither understand the law, read the detail, nor have anything to contribute other than their utter twattery.

6 Likes

There’s a current petition to get them to release the russian interference report before the general election.

2 Likes
3 Likes

2 Likes

How fucked? Very fucked…

Yeah, poll predictions should come with salt content warnings blah blah… but it’s no wonder bozo the clown has no interest in putting himself under scrutiny by people like andrew neil when he has absolutely no incentive to.

2 Likes

Hard to tell these days whether the Tory Islamophobia is better or worse than Labour antisemitism. The reality seems to be that the people running the UK on both sides of the aisle agree that some Britons are more human British than others.

Where does the giant melting block of ice stand on the issues?

seriously?!?

In April 2018, 42 senior academics wrote to The Guardian condemning anti-Corbyn bias in coverage of the debate and suggested that “Dominant sections of the media have framed the story in such a way as to suggest that antisemitism is a problem mostly to do with Labour and that Corbyn is personally responsible for failing to deal with it. The coverage has relied on a handful of sources such as the Board of Deputies, the Jewish Leadership Council and well-known political opponents of Corbyn himself.

and thats exactly the impression I got over the last 2 years…

3 Likes

Seriously. As convincing as your quotes from 3+ years ago might be to you, the reality is that in the last few years party leadership has been unconvincing on dealing with the issue, the Leader has cozied up to people who believe in tropes right out of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and consistently refused to apologize for it, Jewish leaders of good character have been driven out of the party, and overall the party, through its galling lack of self-awareness, has alienated Jewish voters who previously were natural Labour supporters.

Granted, I tend to get my news on the issue from mainstream Jewish periodicals in the UK rather than from Momentum pamphlets, so they might have some pro-Jewish bias.

Rather than lecturing Jews on what they should be sensitive to, Corbyn supporters would do better to read Steve Cohen’s book, That’s Funny, You Don’t Look Antisemitic, which has recently been reissued to address this very real problem in Labour.

1 Like

DId you read that article? Remember, the Tories are the party who actually have to throw people out for being Holocaust deniers. Corbyn is the victim of weaponised accusations of anti-semitism. He doesn’t have to apologise because they are untrue. The chief rabbi is just the latest accuser whose motivations may not be entirely pure. He is a donor to the Tory party and a supporter of its current leader. Not a reliable witness.

I’m f*****g tired of people telling oppressed minorities that when they point out racism they are motivated by politics and not by genuine distress at the racism. Thousands of Jewish Labour voters took to the streets in London last year to protest this scourge in the party, and the response from party mouthpieces was that the protesters were secret Tories or Blairites. This is BS. It is racist gaslighting.

The chief rabbi

Rabbi Mirvis might or might not be a Tory,but that doesn’t mean he’s acting out of political motivation when he’s doing his otherwise apolitical job, and frankly the suggestion is already a little antisemitic. The Archbishop of Canterbury has backed Mirvis, is he just acting politically too? All the rabbis who came out in support of Mirvis, are they all Tories, speaking in defiance of their congregations? The head of the Muslim Council for Britain, who also spoke out in support of Mirvis, he’s a Zionist Tory?

I’m sure the execrable Holly Rigby is delighted that the nasty unfounded attacks she put out the other day have made it through the twitter pipeline and are now taken as gospel by the dittoheads people who get their news that way.

Remember, the Tories are the party

So Labour’s appeal to the Jewish community is “we’re slightly less racist than the Tories”? Even if true, they’ll have to do a better job selling that than they have been.

2 Likes

As a counterpoint to someone who thinks the jury’s out about whether the Tories are more racist:

2 Likes

I think I’d rather believe Noam Chomsky than the ADL. Especially since he himself has been called out as an anti-Semite for his criticism of the actions of the state of Israel. Which is what this is about.

As I wrote above, it doesn’t make things better that both parties have this problem. It is a real conundrum for Jewish voters in the UK. However, as one Guardian columnist pointed out earlier this year,

Some try to say that any mass membership organisation will always reflect the wider society, and since Britain includes antisemites, so too will the Labour party. But that doesn’t wash. Britain includes a fair number of meat-eaters, but you wouldn’t expect to find any in the Vegetarian Society. Others say that it must have something to do with the Middle East, as if antisemitism is bound to arise when people feel so strongly against Israel and for the Palestinians.
But that misses the fact that huge chunks of the egregious anti-Jewish racism spewed out in left circles and on social media has nothing to do with Israel or Palestine: it’s all bankers and Rothschilds, control of the media and Holocaust denial.

W/r to that article, I’m not a big fan of the JVL. Even John Lansman thinks they’re fringy. JVL kind of serve in relation to Corbyn as Jared Kushner does to Trump, someone he can point to to say “See? The Jews love me.” In any event, the article goes to great lengths to show that antisemitism has not increased in Britain under Corbyn. But, the thing is, Britain has never been under Corbyn. That’s not the issue here; it is leadership’s willingness to campaign for local officials who post hate speech on their media feeds, to interfere with investigations of their friends, and generally Corbyn’s general ineptitude on the issue.

The hard left deniers of anti-semitism in Labour are doing exactly what they claim Blairite Jews are doing, letting politics distort their judgment. The Trumpian idea that the best way to deflect attention from your shortcomings is to accuse your opponents of exactly the same thing has jumped the Atlantic.

2 Likes

Your goalpost moving is amazing.

I think the biggest mistake people made is not hiring you to determine who is a “real” voice to be listened to or not.

Are the Tories the Meat-Eater’s Society in this scenario? I wouldn’t be surprised to find bigots in any party. The Tories have enshrined their bigotry in policy, in a way I don’t see happening as much as Labour, do you?

I only speak officially for myself, but I believe that quite a few British Jews would agree with me. As I said above, I get most of my news on this issue from places like the Jewish Chronicle and the Jewish Telegraph Agency, as well as the Graun and the BBC, so I probably have a different slant than people who rely on other sources.

Same goalpost, same location. People telling Jews, or Muslims, or people of color that their experience of prejudice is in their heads can go to hell, especially when the people doing the telling are political leaders or their advisors.

Are the Tories the Meat-Eater’s Society in this scenario?

Why not? I hate the Tories and love Labour. My outrage at this current hole in Labour leadership is so strong exactly because on every issue except this I’m politically aligned with the left wing of the party, and dismayed that they so thoroughly blew an opportunity to take government away from a succession of three of the worst leaders in the country’s history.

When election time rolls around, there’s usually a site which strips party policies of their most obvious identifying marks and presents them for the user to pick the ones they like the sound of.

This time it’s https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

I wasn’t too surprised to find my results showed a strong Green lean with the rest split between Labour and the Lib Dems.

(I’ve only been really surprised by this kind of site once.)

2 Likes

Good link. My results on this are mostly unsurprising, but it’s always good to check that the policies lower down the list match up with the headline issues that really govern my vote.

1 Like

While the barbs he sticks in the Tories are as razor-sharp funny as you’d expect and as they deserve, the best line of the piece was about Corbyn and crew:

Labour’s idea to run an election campaign on policy in the middle of all this [Brexit] is a little bit like reciting your poetry at an orgy.

Also, have some Pie:

3 Likes

But is it fair use?

2 Likes

But, Jeremy Corbyn…

6 Likes