British government considered mass slaughter of all domestic cats during Covid crisis

Originally published at: British government considered mass slaughter of all domestic cats during Covid crisis | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Every cat?!? Even cats that never go outside? That’s plain evil.

22 Likes

[confused face emoji] Bats were always the most suspected animal vectors for covid (that is, other than humans), so was it somehow deemed too difficult to ‘mass slaughter’ all bats?

6 Likes

Lest we forget that the great dog-cat struggle is real and humans are but the pawns…

9 Likes

So if its shown that people are the main method of transmission is the solution the slaughter of everyone in the UK?

18 Likes

Last time the British ordered the mass slaughter of cats in response to a pandemic they didn’t understand (circa 1665) the result was that the rats carrying the plague fleas were allowed to breed unchecked, thus spreading the Black Death even faster.

27 Likes

So, typo?

7 Likes

Go Away GIF

25 Likes

What The Wtf GIF by MIA GLADSTONE

12 Likes

I mean, that, or taking off and nuking the site from orbit, yes.

2 Likes

I Know Right Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

11 Likes

There is precedence

Maybe the Tories saw it as revenge for their voters, even though there was left wing opposition to the 2001 culls.

14 Likes

That won’t work. Every British household was issued a special nuclear defence device to protect them against this sort of thing during the cold war.

ti104056

4 Likes

At least in that case, there was a verified connection between a public health emergency and the culling. I don’t think anyone remotely floated the idea that cats were to blame for Covid… Just more cruelty for no reason from the Tories.

17 Likes

Boris was mad because Larry, the 10 Downing Street cat, was much more popular than he was.

16 Likes

22 Likes

Agreed. Domestic cats are an invasive species that contributed to the extinction of 34 species of birds.

:+1: for relevance!

3 Likes

It’s BS to suggest that ALL cats should be killed, because reasons.

14 Likes

That was suggested but one of the PPSs pointed out that bats are a protected species and that most British people don’t really interact with bats much on a daily basis. Lots of British people interact with cats though, often several households will have interactions with the same cat, and alphabetically speaking cats are quite close to bats, the efficacy of a cull is unknown in any case therefore a mass cull of cats would be almost the same in effect and would be legally much easier to achieve.

I take it you’ve not had dealings with Conservative politicians before? [sobs quietly]

9 Likes