British government considered mass slaughter of all domestic cats during Covid crisis

I'LL NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER” • Cat GIF Website

19 Likes

And there was no evidence that cats spread it.

9 Likes

/s

Kathy Griffin Legs GIF

1 Like

I was being facetious. So far as I know no such exchange took place but it’s the sort of thing I could see Bernard Woolley coming up with in a modern Yes Minister.

1 Like

Given the UK government’s reluctance to enforce any preventative measures during the pandemic, and the suggestion to build “herd immunity” before they backed down, they were well on the way to implementing that modest proposal.

10 Likes

Sadly, more than one:

16 Likes

At least, enacting this idea would have quickly removed the yellow-haired, blobby disease vector, whose policy decisions on covid killed 200000+ people on this island. I visualize our kindly old neigbor lady beating Blobby to a pulp with her cane. So, in total, this would have saved lives. (/s ffs)

4 Likes

The thought that scares me most at present is the thought that current evidence indicates that Boris is one of the more effective, humane and competent members of the Conservative parliamentary party.

We could have had one of the others in charge.

5 Likes

True enough, if a bit sickening. I fell into the same trap I always see in hypotheical questions like “Which tyrant in history would you remove, if you could go back in time?”

4 Likes

In 28 Days Later, the UK is isolated and cut off from the rest of the world until everyone succumbs to the virus. We could try that.

2 Likes

It’s the humans who introduced the cats who are the invasive species.

3 Likes

At first, my mind went to this one, but I still wouldn’t complain.

Oh No Oops GIF by Tesco

3 Likes

Though I’m a cat person, so my Toxoplasma tell me this is a good thing.

1 Like

I have no objections to culling Mr Blobby.

2 Likes

Shh, don’t tell the Tories that humans spread COVID even better than cats.

3 Likes

Though seriously, after reading the article I came away with the impression that the idea of killing cats was more a “what if” hyperbolic. More someone in the room imagining a “nightmare PR scenario” among a broader discussion of how the public would react to unpopular policies to curb the pandemic. Am I misreading the actual substance in the article?

Not that I’d even want to defend the Tories. I enjoy a good finger wag like everyone else, but I try not to enjoy it too much :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is about the UK, not Canada

It would be more accurate to say that in this case Europeans and North Africans domesticated the wildcat.

7 Likes

I know, but I honestly expect it was tit for tat with the Tories. The other thing I am thinking of is the Tory culture wars, and how violence towards cats is an indicator for future misogynistic violence.

BTW, the 2001 cull was completely unnecessary. Small farmers wanted to vaccinate their animals, but Big Ag wanted to export theirs, and if there were any signs of foot and mouth antibodies in animals then all exports would be shut down. Millions of animals died needlessly in the name of capitalism. This also included the “farms” of vegans who were taking care of elderly ex-farm animals.

12 Likes

I live in the country that has the GOP. The Torries aspire to be as cruel as the GOP.

5 Likes

Don’t go blaming the Tories, bastards that they are.
I have found the culprit behind this nefarious plan.

“Look into my toxic Doctor Doom Eyes. Look Closer. Kill deh kitties. Obey”

6 Likes