British government considered mass slaughter of all domestic cats during Covid crisis

Sounds about right, with how they’re going…

It’s kind of weird how labour and the Democrats here in the states mirrored each other with thirdwayism in the 90s and now the Tories and GOP are mirroring each other with grade-school level thinking and heavy leaning into fascism…

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Anyone who is advocating for whole sale eradication of a species is sort of sus in my book. Reeks of ecofascism, honestly.

Thanks for the context there.

11 Likes
1 Like

Actually, it was pretty well documented that cats could be infected by the COVID-19 virus, but it rarely caused any symptoms in them, and there were NO documented cases of it being transmitted from a cat to a human. At the time, there were no reports of COVID infections in dogs, though I think there were unverified reports of COVID in ferrets.

4 Likes

And in Denmark

4 Likes

Count Me In Babe Wiz Khalifa GIF - Count Me In Babe Wiz Khalifa Im Down ...
ALF, not me. I think the idea was abhorrent.

Unrelated, but I just noticed that Boris Johnson and ALF maybe go to the same barber.

2 Likes

Nobody really understood what was spreading it; don’t forget, in the very early days pangolins were a suggested vector in the Chinese wet markets having caught it from bats. Bats are a known source of zoonotic crossover, but mainly via the mining of bat guano for fertiliser.
Then there’s the ongoing problem with the H5N1 bird flu epidemic among wild birds infecting commercial bird populations, then crossing into mammals, and farmed and domestic animals, which is how pandemics like Spanish Flu in 1918 happened.

6 Likes

Every time there’s a crisis they try this. That anti-cat caucus is persistent

2 Likes

:thinking:

I’m fairly certain that it was not cats and that that was agreed upon pretty fucking early.

1 Like

Didn’t stop heath officials in China, sadly.

4 Likes

In more recent news, cat lovers considering mass slaughter of all domestic members of parliament.

4 Likes

Only the ones that refuse to get vaccinated.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Oh, you mean Caractacus Potts!

1 Like

(excerpt) 4. Cat owners are smart.

4 Likes

… I’m not sure “own” is the right verb though

8 Likes

This is the solution they went with, yes. But not everyone of course, just the poors.

9 Likes

Just some more on foot and mouth. We culled millions of animals (Ireland was undoubtedly worse than the UK) for a disease that doesn’t do much to humans (I believe it can rarely spread as a mild infection), that doesn’t even kill cows (it’s like a flu for them, so you will get some deaths but the major effect is that they don’t gain weight as quickly as we want for industrial farming profits), which is endemic throughout much of the world (African farmers quarantine the cows to contain outbreaks and are absolutely horrified at the disgusting practices in UK and Ireland).

Why? So that we in the EU could avoid importing Brazilian beef under health rather than tarrif headings.

Neoliberalism is fucking evil. Meat industry is so sleazy.

10 Likes

Sorry, didn’t see you had added to that, but mine is further context of what fuckery abounded.

3 Likes

:laughing: I think that would be an improvement!