British Museum shocked as its stolen artifacts are stolen from it

Originally published at: British Museum shocked as its stolen artifacts are stolen from it | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Yeah, I can imagine caring a little bit if (say) the pictured Moai sculpture was stolen since seeing it on public display at the British Museum is arguably better than not seeing in on public display at all… but stealing stuff from an off-limits dragon hoard inconveniences no one but the dragon.

14 Likes

This is all over the UK newspapers, but your headline made me guffaw, so thanks!

19 Likes

I regularly visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s online collection to check out pieces that have not been on display for many years. The MMA does not have the space to display their entire collection, and continuous public display would cause harm to the artifacts. Yet they are still valuable for research purposes.

(Gallingly, because of a copyright dispute between the photographers and the MMA, the websites images aren’t of archival qaulity, and you can’t examine them from all angles.)

10 Likes

The Met police have given out a picture of the suspect.

17 Likes

… I think we can just keep calling it “Twitter,” at least as long as X redirects to twitter.com

11 Likes

Stealing from the Imperial Thieves Guild is almost as bad as:
You Cant Fight In Here Dr Strangelove GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

8 Likes

British Museum, “Our stuff isn’t stolen! No one important was using it; and we called dibs!”

6 Likes

9 Likes

Theft vs Robbery.

2 wrongs don’t make it right, but it does make schadenfreude.

11 Likes

The bad thing is that now if someone asks for something back they’ll be able to say that they don’t have it anymore and it must have been stolen (again) no matter if it was or not.

3 Likes

“You’ll wonder why there are so many wonderful foreign treasures on display here, at the British Museum. The answer is quite simple really…Gun beats Spear.”

• Frankie Boyle
5 Likes

“The British Museum has been the victim of theft,” said former British Museum trustee Nigel Boardman in a statement."

Could ‘Nigel Boardman’ be the most British name ever?

9 Likes

My name is Gerald Tweedy, and I approve this message. :face_with_monocle:

11 Likes

Art imitates life imitating art, which imitates–

(posted previously, apologies for being redundant)

8 Likes

Now, if the stolen items end up back where they were originally taken from, then I’d have to call it a reverse Indiana Jones. :smiley:

7 Likes

A local TV show and podcast.

Stuff the British Stole — Marc Fennell

5 Likes

Me, I think we should call it “Shitter” (spelled with an “X” if you prefer) as long as Pedo Guy still owns it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A naive reading of the pinyin ‘X’?

3 Likes

Great Britain is simply acting as custodian, protecting artifacts in a way that those people in their native lands couldn’t possibly. Take the Elgin marbles for example. Oh wait.

1 Like