British supermarkets fight over "essential" branding

the prisoner goodbye GIF

6 Likes

No - ASDA is no longer a Walmart company. Hasn’t been for over a year.

ETA Oops - I see @politeruin beat me to it.

3 Likes

I’ll bite. What’s a skipdiver? Inquiring minds want to know.

While Waitrose is considered pretty up-market in the UK, it’s an employee owned company (one of the largest in the world). Pretty good employers when my brother worked for them.

Someone who goes looking in the bins (trash) behind a shop to get the expired, but still edible, food that’s been thrown out. More generally, someone who goes through bins to get good things that have been thrown away, but in this case just food.
I’ve just remembered, in the US they call it ‘dumpster diving’. Skip == dumpster.

6 Likes

@phuzz Thank you.

So this is a fight between two supermarket chains, with one accusing the other of making its generic brand too similar to their own generic brand?

Either this is fucking nuts, or I don’t understand the meaning of “generic”.

4 Likes

I think that they’re accusing each other of not being generic enough.

3 Likes

mad scientist laughter GIF by SMOSH

2 Likes

No “re” about it

1 Like

Welcome to The Village, Number Six!
Six of one, half dozen of another.
[mad laughter]

3 Likes

Yup, me too. Although as a rule I avoid the Co-op like the plague as every Co-op I have ever been in has been dirty. I mean really grotty. But I’ll be in the queue for Aldi Skipdiver right enough.

I miss Kwiksave.

I’d like to know in what world mayonnaise is ‘essential’ anyway, I was at least in my late teens before I ever experienced it as opposed to salad cream.

ASDA could probably eat Waitrose three time over.

Yeah, I’m sure, and Walmart, at one time (pre-Amazon), could have eaten Whole Foods three times over. Both companies were, and still are, horrible. Again, that doesn’t change the fact that the trademark infringement claim here is bs. I’m not taking ASDA’s side because I thought it was a case of David v. Goliath. I’m taking their side because, this time, they’re right.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.