Broadband plans to get "nutrition labels"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/10/broadband-plans-to-get-nutrition-labels.html

5 Likes

Now do this for cell phones. I’d suggest doing it for Cable TV as well but I think that’s too far gone at this point to matter.

9 Likes

It always pleases me to see one of the most successful and impactful designs in history re-purposed for other uses. Some background on the designer:

7 Likes

I want to see this required for everything where the price advertised isn’t the price you pay.

10 Likes

Gee whose fault is that.
I’m also reminded of those fact sheets that are included in credit card solicitations. Surely a legal requirement, does anyone know when/what brought that on?

Yeah, it really shouldn’t be that hard to tell people how much you’re actually going to charge them. I recently ordered some stuff from Costco via Instacart, and the shopper inadvertently left the store receipt in with my groceries. I thought Instacart just charged a fee, plus whatever you want to tip the shopper. Nope. They charge you a higher price for each item than the price you would pay in the store. And then they charge you a fee on top of that. And then whatever tip you want to give. When you shop at a store on the Instacart app or website, the price listed for the items you see on your screen is not the price you would pay in the store. And I’m ok with that. I just want it to be transparent. The “fee” they charge at the end is not the only charge for the convenience of using their service. Their actual fee is higher than they make it seem.

What about the fibre content, is this addressed in those labels?

4 Likes

Time for a phone call.

Please let us know how that works out. If it’s anything like Crapcast, You won’t find anything close to that $89/mo plan and somehow at the end of the call you’ll now have a lower tier of service and still be paying $139/mo.

I’ve been trying to keep my Crapcast cable/internet plan under $200/mo for years, but every 1-1.5 years it somehow sneaks back up. Right now I’m somehow at $265/mo, so I’m overdue for my “yearly” call.

2 Likes

Gosh! I can’t imagine why.
Seems like they could make clear, easy-to-understand plans and prices into an asset:
“Unlike our competitors, we are up-front about our plans! We don’t have hidden fees or other gotchas!”

‘Costly’ only in the respect that people don’t generally read fine print that could result in a better deal for themselves
And ‘complicated’?
Please!
In a previous life, I worked tech support at an ISP; we loved complicated shit!

Apparently, for MBAs, Bean Counters, and Land Sharks, it’s a different story.

I was shopping around maybe 4 or 5 years back. Don’t remember which provider but couldn’t find, at all, what the non-promotional rates were. Only the rates for the first 6 months. Actual long term rates simply not available. I gave up.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.