FTC wants an ISP to stop "lying" and actually meet its highspeed advertising claims

Originally published at: FTC wants an ISP to stop "lying" and actually meet its highspeed advertising claims | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Gosh that would be nice. My previous service was Spectrum in the States. They gave me one tenth of the speed I was paying for, and there was nothing I could do about it :woman_shrugging:

18 Likes

We’re just happy we have internet access up here in the hinter lands.

8 Likes

I still think there’s a great post in there somewhere, some of what you had set up was downright cool, if slow as molasses. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Those guys were crazy and made it “work” but yesh. It was 30 or 40mbps/sec for around $150/mo at the point I moved, which felt great when I was upgraded from 8mbps for $150/mo – but having moved to a FIOS home, it is worth considering moving if your living is made online.

I now have more bandwidth in my 1000 sqft 1905 Craftsman near the beach than I had in my 1999 Marina Del Rey Internet Datacenter.

9 Likes

It’d be nice if there is a program that monitored your speed on a regular basis and documents it to send to the cable company when you underpaid your bill. When they complain just explain that that’s the way the system is set up, and that you’re having technical issues.

6 Likes

Ask and you shall receive.

10 Likes

Who is your provider out there in JT? Some years ago, before we emigrated to the EU, we were considering a move to Anza-Borrego but nixed it due to insufficient internet connectivity/bandwidth. I hope the situation has improved; I know house prices out there have exploded upwards.

2 Likes

Anza-Borrego is still real ify on the web access [have friends there], around here Frontier is a pariah in every sense of the word. Spectrum is the best we can get, and at $17.00 dollars a month for it, you could complain, but to whom I do not know.

4 Likes

I detest Verizon. Enough that I’ve had an AT&T phone for just about forever, and I don’t like them either.

We lived in a house with FIOS internet for many years and when we moved four years ago (many states away, but one with FIOS service also), finding a house that had FIOS service was a requirement. It was probably more important than public water and sewer instead of well and septic. For I also dislike well and septic maintenance, but at least that’s a solvable problem.

If the house has electricity and phone, there’s no reason for it not to have fiber. At least when we look for someplace to live, that’s the criteria.

3 Likes

Preach. When I signed up it was Time Warner, but now Spectrum. Odd thing happened last month. I reduced our service from the “premium” internet speed and got rid of my phone through them (it was an office phone), and immediately the router started making really weird noises, and I got emails that my internet was now faster than ever!!! I got a new router and stopped the noises, but the internet really is faster on this reduced plan which leads me to wonder…What the heck was I paying for all those years?

7 Likes

I had roadrunner (time warner?) in marina del rey in 2000. Was a far cry from the slow dsl we had in the California foothills.

Have comcast now and frontier tried to charge me the same $ per month for 1/20th the speed comcast does. I hate comcast but can’t sacrifice that much

1 Like

Yes, I thought as much. At the time our only option was going to be cellular, a Hughes satellite connection, or an expensive and slow ISDN hookup. It’s one of those problems that Starlink was supposed to solve, but they keep pushing back access for SoCal. I had high hopes for it, but I guess Elon has other things to worry about right now.

Here we have dual multi-gigabit fibers to the premises which is about the best thing ever.

3 Likes

Starlink is actually progressing pretty well, just a little slower than a lot of us hoped. I know a few people who’ve gotten it, and they tell it’s about as good as advertised. They’ve even started adding portability - basically, a “no guarantees, but we’ll try our best” if you want to use it somewhere other than your home address. I just signed up and should get mine within a few weeks, so then I’ll know for myself.

It just takes a lot of satellite launches to get large-scale LEO-based internet working, especially in densely populated regions, so for now it’s actually better in more rural regions most of the time. They’re launching over a hundred new satellites a month at this point, and it’s only been about a year of public beta + seven months out of beta since the service actually started.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.