Broken Windows policing is nonsense

Can you point out what you are talking about specifically? I am curious.

I think the key is showing clear paths for a way out. In Freakinomics they had a part where a drug dealer took meticulous ledgers on the flow of money. Most drug dealers would make more money working at McDonalds and have the advantage of not getting shot at. But the reward potential was enough to make that risk seem worth it.

It seems to me if we had something else in place, we would see crime greatly reduced. Sure there will always be some because there will always be evil and always be people who would rather steal than get by honestly. But most people just want to make their way like everyone else.

To me it is clearly a poverty issue, because as soon as you reach middle class wages, the chances of murder and violent crime nose dives.

3 Likes

There is a third option: treat people with respect and dignity, regardless of their wealth or poverty.

Don’t want stinky back alleys? Build public urinals and provide housing for the homeless. As a general rule, folks aren’t crapping in public because they want to.

7 Likes

I got arrested in Texas for public urination back in the 1970’s. I was on my way to kill someone.

2 Likes

So unfortunate that Cory posted this.

It was all about making dealers etc uncomfortable standing around. Clean up the street, suddenly they stick out like sore thumbs. Leave busted windows, shadows, general dilapidation - well, they don’t like it much, and move on.

Enforcement is a different area. Shame if the NYPD screwed this up.

1 Like

Clay Shirky’s spot on quote is appropriate here:

Institutions will try to preserve the problem to which they are the solution.

4 Likes

Yep, you won’t see any sit-ins in Congress supporting this sort of gun control, because it does nothing to further a main objective - pissing off middle aged white guys who live in flyover country.

Asking the police to stop crime before it starts just leads to rights violations.

3 Likes

You just described me to a ‘T’, and I’d be happy if all existing guns were melted down.

3 Likes

If we could magically melt down every single gun, including those possessed by the police and military, yep, it would be a much better world.

Magic would solve a lot of our problems.

3 Likes

They didn’t need magic to build the pyramids. All they had to do was start and continue.

4 Likes

And then you and your family went on to star in a highly successful reality show. Bravo, Mr. Osbourne!

2 Likes

So would an honest assessment of the problems with guns and our casual fetish for them.

3 Likes

And there’s the main delusion, that anyone gives a crap about “middle aged white guys who live in flyover country”. We just want far few fewer guns, especially the types designed to kill humans in large numbers, and not ducks. What’s bizarre is these rural people least likely to encounter an intruder in their home are the ones most paranoid about it and armed in preparation.

6 Likes

But the owners that refuse to propose sane policies or require anything of the NRA and the politicians they pay off aren’t similarly trolling the rest of us that want less gun deaths?

Of course people are going to say shit out of anger. There aren’t a bunch of “hicks in flyover” that are fucking us as a country, there’s a whole system of assholes. And dragging it all down seems pretty tempting when you have such uncaring responses.

1 Like

I think you misunderstood my “don’t give a shit”. It isn’t that their needs as Americans shouldn’t be considered, it’s that no one is setting out to piss them off as a goal. We just want less guns, and that happens to piss them off.

2 Likes

Aw, I was teasing. I see public urination as a product of a lack of basic needs, like public restrooms, as here in NYC. More of a thing one is compelled or forced to do rather than a crime of volition I guess or something that needs to be punished.

3 Likes

I’m a gun guy, but I’d be happy with that too.

The problem is, you can’t have mine first. And there can be NO exceptions outside of the military. Give me a plan that meets my criteria, and I’m on board.

2 Likes

I’m regularly reading about programs that have been tested - and found to work - that are being implemented elsewhere, while US police continue to spend money on programs that have been proven to not work. In the UK now, apparently, the police themselves are actually running scientific trials to see what practices actually reduce crime, while the US resists evidence-based policing. Some recent examples, off the top of my head: “restorative justice” for youth offenders (getting perpetrator to actually communicate with victim) rather than prosecuting kids has been shown to be effective in decreasing the chances of future offenses. The US is moving in the opposite direction. As I mentioned, “scared straight” programs have been shown to increase the odds that the youth put through it will commit a crime in the future. (The US still spends a lot of money on it, despite that.) Random police patrols are apparently useless (and cops are also useless at figuring out what crime hotspots they should be focusing on instead). Etc. Various programs that provide support (and money) for people that are at high risk for committing crimes have been shown to be very effective (and a lot cheaper than the alternative), but there’s a lot of resistance - especially from conservatives - to them.
Then there’s actual policing methods - the traditional interview and interrogation methods, witness identification and a lot of forensic techniques are known to create false positives, yet police in the US still use them. I’m not sure how much of that is ignorance and how much is deliberate - they’re perhaps more invested in getting someone for a crime rather than the actual perpetrator.

9 Likes

FTFY…

2 Likes