Bugs with the new BBS system

I did, but it’s hard to tell whether it’s Safe Mode that helps, or the re-start. Initially I restarted in Safe Mode and still had the issue, until I disabled the “hardware acceleration” option. But even with that off, the problem returns after having the browser open a while, until I re-start again. Switching off Java also makes the problem go away but then makes a lot of pages unable to render.

Seems like there’s some issues with YouTube vids on the article page, specifically ones that are from www.youtube-nocookie.com.

They fail to play on the page, then 404 when clicking on the “Watch on YouTube” link in the player. Dunno if it’s just me or others are having this issue.

Example: http://boingboing.net/2015/03/05/mma-fighter-bullies-his-way-in.html

1 Like

black and white images get much darker/lose fidelity when uploading. affects both the thumbnail and the zoomed in version.

this has been going on for a while now, and is kinda ugly.

example source and bbs version

Yeah its a tough bug we have had for ages, no easy fix :frowning: it is deep in image magick

2 Likes

Could you fix how bbs deals with ampersands?

It looks a bit ugly. Yes, I know that ampersands are “escaped” and all that, but somehow the encoding algorithm is faulty,

2 Likes

So, in certain circumstances, one cannot go to the top or the bottom of a thread even though one desperately needs to avoid scrolling:

In case it’s not clear – there’s a 10,000-item poll to the left.

1 Like

For the last couple days the Show Full Post button has been missing in just under half of all the BoingBoing auto-created threads I’ve viewed. This has occurred both logged-in, in Firefox, on a laptop & logged-out, in Safari, on an iPad. This has also happened both at work and at home. Refreshing the thread will make the button appear.

2 Likes

have been meaning to report this for the last few days as well.

saw that you had a post ITT from my notification feed and was all “oh yeah, I’ll click thru, read his, then report mine.”

so: same-sies.

Can you link me to one that is broken? I took an (admittedly) quick peek at half a dozen topics and couldn’t see one that was missing.

It isn’t consistent.

The Black Widow one definitely was earlier, so was the deleted scenes one.

So the bug might be that it initially doesn’t show up, then does later?

2 Likes

Seems to be.

just getting on today, so not sure how it is now; but yes, yesterday it was pretty much every post was missing the button when I clicked thru to it, but it always appeared when I refreshed

oh, PS firefox latest with an old mac OS

#STILL DOING IT, GUIZE

Last night @codinghorror managed to reproduce the bug and today I cut out a fix. Sorry it took so long to figure out what was going on:

4 Likes

Why am I suddenly getting unread notifications on threads I haven’t clicked to at all?

Not sure, can you screenshot it? What does the notification control at the bottom of the topic say? (the one that has Regular, Tracking, Watched options in it?)

Natch, it’s not happening anymore.

Not sure if this counts as a bug or a missing feature, but here goes: Is there any plan to support nested quotes in the near future? I’m seeing more and more discussions where people are quoting both the person they’re replying to and the person that person was replying to, like this discussion over here.

Mindysan33’s post in that chain quoted Anonymouse’s original post several times, and each time the quote block was expandable to see the entire post with the quote in context. But Anonymouse’s reply, which included nested quotes, only linked back to the post he was replying to and the quotes were not expandable. Is this because the nested quotes broke the expanding feature some how?

We sort of support it a little but we do not want to support it so much that we end up encouraging it. Nested quoting is a disastrous reading experience. Nobody wants to play Inception while they read.