Bugs with the new BBS system

If we can just make the text so small that we don’t have to read things…

2 Likes

Was it just me that got logged out of all my sessions today?

I was having real problems connecting this morning - was that your end or my craptastic mobile data?

Earlier today I had a WHOLE BUNCH of 500 server errors, but it cleared up within about 30 minutes

Zoo mean is unpredictable off ---- cannot try to get this right

You should really try to get zooming to work. Overriding font sizes is never going to work reliably on all websites. But zooming ABSOLUTELY will, because that’s how smartphones and tablets display websites.

Unless someone is building a website that does not display properly on smartphones and tablets, which sounds rather like a death wish to me at this point.

I used zooming for a long time before I started requiring my own font sizes. Perhaps it absolutely will work, but as of now, it does not always work.

Yesterday I had a bunch of 503 errors on my ipad but not on my laptop, and today I had a bunch of 503s on my laptop but not on my ipad.

Keep me updated, I just reconfigured our systems which appears to have resolved the 503 issue. Let me know if you see it anymore.

There’s still no link between the BBS system and Boing Boing.

This seems like such a basic thing!

TO HAVE!

1 Like

Reporting a new-to-me bug: My Macbook Pro’s logic board went tits up last Thursday, which I decided was the kick in the arse I needed to pass it down to my partner and get myself a new model. After several days of fuckery getting my information migrated off my Time Capsule, with which I shall not bore you, I finally got up and running, but found that suddenly http://bbs.boingboing.net wouldn’t load in Firefox 35.0.1. Got the right headers, even with the running count of new topics, but nothing else would show up.

I turned off Ghostery, then AdBlock Plus, then FlashBlock, as they’re the usual culprits in such cases, but nothing worked. Finally today I had time to try starting Firefox in Safe Mode, and go through extension troubleshooting. You could have knocked me over with a feather when it turned out that “Turn off hardware acceleration” was the solution - I’ve never interacted with that preference before, but I assume something about the graphics card on this shiny new Mac is the culprit.

In any case, I thought I’d report in - I’d like to be able to enable it again if @codinghorror et al can figure out what’s up, but if it’s particular to this new Mac configuration, I realize it may be an edge case issue.

Never heard of this before. Suspect bugs in Firefox and/or the video drivers. Are you on the latest and greatest OSX with all updates applied, etc?

Indeed.

I’m going to guess it’s the “NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory” (which for the record I have no need of, but there was a complex bit of calculus involving what I could get in-store vs. what I had to wait for divided by my need for hard drive space and my educational discount).

It seems to be a JavaScript issue, after more testing. It’s intermittent, goes away after I re-start the browser, and is also interfering with websites like Delicious, Feedly, and some LiveJournal comment pages but not others. Turning off JavaScript doesn’t seem to be an option, as it causes the BBS pages to render thusly:

My GoogleFu is not turning up an answer on either JavaScript or Firefox forums. Very frustrating thus far.

Did you try firefox in safe mode with no plugins?

I did, but it’s hard to tell whether it’s Safe Mode that helps, or the re-start. Initially I restarted in Safe Mode and still had the issue, until I disabled the “hardware acceleration” option. But even with that off, the problem returns after having the browser open a while, until I re-start again. Switching off Java also makes the problem go away but then makes a lot of pages unable to render.

Seems like there’s some issues with YouTube vids on the article page, specifically ones that are from www.youtube-nocookie.com.

They fail to play on the page, then 404 when clicking on the “Watch on YouTube” link in the player. Dunno if it’s just me or others are having this issue.

Example: http://boingboing.net/2015/03/05/mma-fighter-bullies-his-way-in.html

1 Like

black and white images get much darker/lose fidelity when uploading. affects both the thumbnail and the zoomed in version.

this has been going on for a while now, and is kinda ugly.

example source and bbs version

Yeah its a tough bug we have had for ages, no easy fix :frowning: it is deep in image magick

2 Likes

Could you fix how bbs deals with ampersands?

It looks a bit ugly. Yes, I know that ampersands are “escaped” and all that, but somehow the encoding algorithm is faulty,

2 Likes

So, in certain circumstances, one cannot go to the top or the bottom of a thread even though one desperately needs to avoid scrolling:

In case it’s not clear – there’s a 10,000-item poll to the left.

1 Like