Building an eight-story vertical fish farm

Originally published at: Building an eight-story vertical fish farm | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“Why not expand vertically?”

Because it’s f–in’ expensive, and Singapore is probably one of the rare places where it makes financial sense.

Nevertheless, super cool!

4 Likes

As a result, only around five percent of the water needs to be replaced when contaminated by effluent from the fish

That factoid is pretty useless without knowing the frequency at which it happens.

2 Likes

At first I misread the headline as an EIGHTY-STORY fish farm. That seemed crazy. This, well, just slightly less-so.

I’m not a structural engineer but this seems to be a bigger job than the usual eight-story building. Those tanks filled just with water would weight 2380 US tons. Hopefully they put in good foundations!

2 Likes

I was initially going to joke: the easier path towards “building an eight-story vertical fish farm” seems to me to be: dig an eight-story deep hole and fill it with water.

2 Likes

Right after the deep fryer article.

Clever :grin:

2 Likes

A friend who was working on an advanced degree in agronomy was delving into the practicalities of how many fish and how high a concentration of fish poop you can allow in the same volume of water and still make big $$$. Kind of makes fish “farming” seem less wholesome.

2 Likes

This isn’t a new method of aquaculture.Ever since the 1960s we’ve seen structures like this for the raising of fish, but until now they were always on very large boats, and they only produces the easiest farmed fish to raise- the humble carp.

Now, these boats were never a huge success, and when they inevitably failed, the large structures were generally taken onto land and repurpoused as temporary storage for motor vehicles.

And this explains the origins of the multi-storey carp ark.

16 Likes

At first I assumed this was a fish farm with 8 upright stories to tell. Then I realised it had 8 storeys. (Which, by definition, makes it vertical. It could hardly be an eight-storey horizontal fish farm!)

@pesco storey not story.

It does remind me of the Manchester University (UMIST, actually, but that was subsumed into the University a while back) main building whose floors were not numbered but lettered. It had the K-floor gym - on the top floor. Rumour was that K-floor was intended to be a swimming pool until someone recalculated what the weight of water would be and it was rapidly repurposed as a gym.

Water is heavy!

1 Like

f2e562118543739bc8e05c7dce3d927d

2 Likes

A true-but-wrong factoid in waterbed sales was: “It only weighs as much per square foot as a refrigerator!”

Oh? Do you normally park six refrigerators together in a room? :thinking:

1 Like

1 Like

… I find myself unironically fascinated by this sort of thing and at this point in my life have no idea what to do with my interest. Big up to your friend for pursuing this, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.