Goldfish-driven vehicles reach new heights

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/17/goldfish-driven-vehicles-reach.html

This is the future liberals want.

12 Likes

This is pretty fucking great art piece. I hope later iterations involve infinity-pool-like currents that counter the direction of the goldfish so that its orientation and effort are translated into movement of the base, without the fish actually changing position in the container.

7 Likes

pseudo-intelligent system linking the fish and the machine…

Fish are not even pseudo-intelligent. They are just a mouth with a propulsion system. I can trick them with a rubber worm.

5 Likes

It needs to allow the fish to move in the third dimension.

4 Likes

I’m just saying that before you use that standard for intelligence, consider the fact that a lot of the food in this picture is probably not real, and it still brings people in…

ETA : I don’t mean that in the obnoxious way some people claim food is “not real” unless they’ve personally witnessed it grow out of the ground or come out of an animal. I’m talking about old food photography tricks like shaving cream instead of whipped cream.

12 Likes

I’ve eaten at Bob Evans. I can say with authority that none of it is “real” food.

8 Likes

4 Likes

They’re talking about the system, not the fish.

2 Likes

Simply casting the food out of polymers (often vinyl) is very common. It doesn’t melt under intense lighting and lasts forever…

2 Likes

Bottom line is that we’ve had enormous successes and we will continue to have enormous successes.

7 Likes

Agreed:

5 Likes

Was expecting flying goldfish. So disappoint!

1 Like

Girl Genius beat you to it!

4 Likes

This is just insanely awesome. And downright hilarious. But off, that write-up from the people who built it! Next time can we have the goldfish write the abstract too?

2 Likes

c’mon darpa, lets get on this

2 Likes

Adult carp are quite wily, actually. So too musky.

1 Like

Goldfish driven Uber car in 3…2…1…

3 Likes

Fish driving vehicles? Sweet Pickles was way ahead of the curve here.

1 Like

Don’t see what’s new here. We’ve been putting them in tanks for ages.

4 Likes