Bully officer threatens to send kid reporter to juvy, but kid doesn't back down

One of the constant things I heard here in Indiana growing up that has formed me was hearing the blowhards talking about teenagers “knowing everything” and how someday we would be grown up and different and somehow beholden to their great wisdom.

Well I do know teenagers can be arrogant, but the second part has never become true. As I’ve gotten older (in my 40s now) the opinion of the blowhards insisting they know more than teenagers hold even LESS meaning than they did then. The comment is Dunning-Kruger syndrome writ large. And, in this case, the teen has actually done some reading and knows MUCH more about that particular law than that LEO.

14 Likes

Perfectly legal, anyway, yes.

1 Like

The Supreme Court has said unequivocally you have the right to record and post officers in public as well. Any officer claiming that ought not only be punished, they should be criminally fined. It’s a tactic of intimidation.

16 Likes

That’s a good distinction to make.

Yes, legal, no, not fine. We can and should do better

2 Likes

Would you be willing to add this one?

Clocks

(I realize that the brown children category is an overlap)

ETA: found the other link

8 Likes

omg so cute! any cops from there in the immigrant caravans? :rofl:

I understand that he was lying like a cheap carpet and trying desperatwly to come up with a justification after the fact. Cops lie. They are trainedto lie

5 Likes

Personally, I’ve made it a point during my kid’s childhood not to bullshit her; in the hopes that during these last few years before she becomes an adult that she will return the favor, and keep it 100 with me.

The rule around my house has long been "don’t ask a question unless you actually want an honest answer, because that’s what you’ll get.

So far, so good; my kid can and often does talk to me about anything.

16 Likes

Great stuff. I did the same with my kids and am doing the same with my grandkids. It’s really the only way to go. Ideally, one shouldn’t bullshit anybody.

5 Likes

Preach.

6 Likes

I added a bit to your comment. I’ve frequently told people having potentially contentious discussions with me, “Don’t ask my opinion unless you’re prepared for an uncomfortable answer.” I have a reputation for being polite but blunt.

3 Likes

A couple of more items, if you please. :slight_smile:

Facts
General Public

3 Likes

in my 24 year career as a teacher i’ve always made sure not to lie and bullshit kids. when i don’t know something i say “i don’t know” and when i’m asked directly about something to do with all the fucked up political shit that goes on i’ll tell them the truth as i see it unless doing that would get me fired and then i’ll say something like "it would be inappropriate for me to say anything about that, why don’t you talk to ___________ (fill in the specific authority figure)?

12 Likes

Good on ya.

If everyone made the endeavor to keep their bullshit to a minimum, I believe the world would be a much better place.

8 Likes

amen!

9 characters is so irritating sometimes.

4 Likes

Ampersand, shy, semicolon.

:wink:

4 Likes

This is usually said sarcastically [on Reddit], but I’m going to go with: So brave.

She’s 12? Who knows, at 12, that many (most?) police are idiots and deserve to be challenged? Who, at 12, actually does so?

3 Likes

Many police departments are absolutely blatant about flouting the law, in this case (biiig surprise /s). Maryland, with its restrictive “wiretapping” laws, is a perfect example:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog-2010-05-recording_in_public-story.html

as is the bit about him issuing an order and it being illegal to disobey an order of a police officer…me thinks he over reaches in his justifications.

also, hurray for the kid on a bike following him around while he was doing some shady ass shit, er looking for a mountain lion.

having lived my entire life in mountain lion country, one doesn’t find a mountain lion driving around like this as they are excellent hiders and perchers. also this is animal control’s duty.

5 Likes

“I gave you a lawful order”. the defense tactic of many an administrator.

2 Likes