Burger King workers keep smashing the windows because hoax callers tell them to

[Read the post]

3 Likes

The Morro Bay one sounds particularly silly.

A similar call to Burger King in Morro Bay, California, about a purported gas leak in early February resulted in $35,000 of damage. Not only did employees smash the windows, but a manager went as far as ramming his car into the building.

21 Likes

Sounds like BK needs to quickly ramp up employee safety retraining in regards to natural gas. “I’ll prevent a gas explosion by crashing a thing that works by exploding gas into the leaky gas area”?

29 Likes

And nobody goes thats odd shouldn’t I smell it by now if there was a leak from the system? Or how about we just open all the doors?

16 Likes

Or maybe they all just really hated working at Burger King?

21 Likes

Is Burger King the only one being hit (pun intended)? My first thought was this is being done by current or former unhappy employees and I can’t believe Burger King’s treatment of its workers is any worse than any other fast food restaurant’s.

6 Likes

What is this supposed remote-gas-sensing tech that you’d have to believe exists in order to fall for this hoax?

6 Likes

I’m laughing at their expense, literally.

8 Likes

This weirdly reminds me of when I was working at a gas station and the fountain drink dispenser wasn’t giving any carbonation. I changed the tank with a known new tank to no effect. So I grab one of the lighters we had on display, set it to a low flame and see if goes out around the valve (i.e. check if the valve is leaky or not attached right. My boss walks over right as I’m doing this and goes,

“ABE! What are you doing?! You’ll blow the building up!”

“Um… it’s carbon dioxide… it’s not flammable.” :no_mouth:

28 Likes

Pretty much the opposite of it even.

3 Likes

Dude… young naive employees get a call from a good con man will fall for it.

IIRC there was a rash of these at hotels a few years ago.

3 Likes

Strictly speaking, it can be quite combustible, after its own fashion.

ETA:

I like this one better. It’s jauntier.

4 Likes

Still are they that dumb? Have I just been hanging out with the smart kids the whole time?

4 Likes

Cool, well outside of things like magnesium fires then. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Burger King was demonstrating their extreme commitment to customer satisfaction. No lettuce? No pickles? Windows smashed out? Have it your way.

18 Likes

There’s also a bit of “learned helplessness,” probably. Most people don’t know doodly squat about gas leaks (except that they can kill you), and most fast food managers have precisely 0% investment in saving the company money on windows and, like, at least 60% investment in not dying in a fiery explosion.

Risk of listening to the phone call: almost zero.
Risk of NOT listening to the phone call: BOOM.

8 Likes

We only hear about the pranks that work. You never hear about that time the guy called a Burger King and told the employees to smash the windows, and they just hung up the phone.

23 Likes

Yes, and not just young ones. This Compliance (2012) - IMDb is based on a true incident. It’s worth seeing, but be warned. It is one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen, not least because it makes me wonder how I could be manipulated under different circumstances.

1 Like

Where is your god now?

Think about how dumb the average person is. Now realize half of them are dumber.

12 Likes