But If You Guys Don't Vote For Us, The Other Guys Win!

There are a lot of countries that can justifiably get angry at the US for their reactionary bent, but yours isn’t one of them. The “Reagan revolution” in the US was fueled by Thatcher, and Bush sold the invasion of Iraq using “evidence” provided to him by Tony Blair. Don’t blame us for your Tory problems.

Sure, but I think some element of “you shall reap what you sow” requires acknowledgement, so I went ahead and owned it.

And while I don’t expect people to stop obsessing over meddling foreigners, the constant monocle-popping has to be costing a fortune.

Where did you get that idea? The only thing the Constitution says is that Congress sets the day of “the choosing of electors” and it has to be the same day for the whole nation.

1 Like

Huh! For some reason I thought that the day was set in there. Like I said, it’s been a few years since I read it :slight_smile:

It’s not the “meddling foreigners” who are surprising. We try to meddle in their shit, they try to meddle in our shit, everybody is (presumably) looking out for what they perceive as their own country’s best interests and doing whatever they can get away with in the process. I assume we have plenty of spies in Moscow just as they have plenty of spies in Washington. That’s the game.

The upsetting part is when our own guys are actively trying to help the other team.

I keep a copy in my suit coat pocket, next to my spare American flag pins.

Just kidding, I’m not a psycopath politician.

2 Likes

There is evidence that the CIA funded the Social Democratic Party, which split from Labour and stopped them from winning in 1983 (possibly, but there were other reasons why they lost) and 1987 (more probable). They didn’t want the left wing Michael Foot or the more centrist Neil Kinnock from stopping Thatcherism.

1992 is entirely on the Labour party though, Kinnock fucked that up at the last minute.

1 Like

There’s never any shortage of quislings. But it is certainly disagreeable when they get elected to high office. Nixon and Thieu, Reagan and Banisadr, (and in that case it was a presidential candidate actively working with declared enemies of the USA) now people say it’s Trump and some Putin cutout or other.

I expect this time around it’ll end up the same way it did last time - eight years in office and enshrined as a Great American. And maybe random uninvolved Russians getting beat up in bars the same way Iranians used to during the Reagan years, but I hope not.

That’s some serious tinfoil hat stuff there.

I was living and working in England in the 80s, and as much as I admired Foote and Kinnock at the time, Labour had plenty of problems aside from the Gang of 4. Especially in '87

With friends like these…

2 Likes

Gee, Democratic Party operatives were (and are) doing exactly the things that the Democratic Party is loudly referring to as “meddling with elections” when Russians do it?

I’m so surprised I’ve just lost three monocles in a row!

2 Likes

Insofar as they were playing politics as usual, not possibly directly manipulating voting machines and committing wide-scale fraud which is what Russia has been accused of. Not really clear on how that’s comparable to a state actor attempting to swing an election with direct action though; the two issues aren’t comparable unless you’re looking for pointless gotchas for internet smug points.

edit: also not, ya know, practicing assassinations in the UK on the reg.

1 Like

Then this is for you:

https://singleusemonocles.com

2 Likes

I buy 'em by the 3 pack! Unlubricated, of course.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.