Buy 100 plastic pennies for $5.99

Originally published at: Buy 100 plastic pennies for $5.99 | Boing Boing

3 Likes
13 Likes

Sounds like a good deal until you realize you can get 599 real pennies for the same price.

6 Likes

The ONLY reason I can think of for this is that if a teacher used real pennies, the kids might be tempted to pocket them (they are spendable, after all). Plastic pennies have no value (other than to the teacher that pays for them).

4 Likes

Also, a TROFAST full of plastic pennies is unlikely to buckle under the weight.

1 Like

Wouldn’cha know it, like everything else they’ve gone up … a lot.

6 Likes

I agree, we want to reward the really enterprising kids who pocket the plastic ones and undercut the competition by selling to unsuspecting teachers for $2.99/C

6 Likes

Maybe there are some teachers out there who don’t trust kids with conductive objects. (Although I do doubt that’s the reason these exist)

5 Likes

We’re in some kind of trouble when “this is why we can’t have nice things” meets “pennies are nice things.”

5 Likes

Probably also less of an issue if a kid eats one.

And some kid will.

3 Likes

When I briefly took a job as a toll collector part of the training involved making change using this kind of plastic change, we had all the other denominations as well of course.

2 Likes

Do you actually still use them meaningfully? We ditched ours in 1992.

Pennies are still used in the souvenir machines, where tou turn a crank and your penny is crushed and impressed with an image tangentially related to your current whereabouts

2 Likes

Our daughter collects those squished pennies. There are online maps with machine locations but Disney gets priority.

She has an album with all of hers.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.