Plastic pennies: 100 for $3.49

Hahahaha,,,,best thing I've seen today smile

And so cheap, too!

Real pennies aren't safe for younger kids because they don't have the choke warning.

I was looking for play money bills the other day. They, at least, are cheaper than the instruments they portray.

Idea: Candyland, but you lay the color cards out in a pool instead of drawing them. Kids have a hand of play money and bid on the cards.

Apparently far more costly than a bag of real pennies...

Maybe the savings are realized when you need 100 plastic quarters for only $3.49...?

A street huckster conned me into buying a silver 5 dollar Canadian coin, for 10 bucks. Seemed like a fair deal. Days later I took it too a bank and asked about its actually worth. "Five dollars" the teller replied. Immediately I bray laughter exclaiming "I paid 10 for it!"

1. You don't have to take them out of your pockets to go through airport security

That's an impressive con... how did it work? What did they say to make you think it was worth more than $5CAN? Or were you just not aware the exchange rate is (roughly) 1-1?

Think of them as an investment. Who knows how much they'll be worth in a few years?

I think the term you're looking for is seigniorage.

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. McGuire: Plastic Pennies - invest now.

Well, there are enough memorial/jubilee/etc coins that have a nominal value below the metal (and collectors) value.

It almost certainly did sell for more than $5, but that doesn't mean anyone else is going to give you more than that for it.

I use tools such as these in my classroom all the time. Now I feel insecure and fragile because of your snarky post about the price of plastic money.

I see what you didn't do there...

Our Snarkometers (tm) must be calibrated differently - mine wasn't triggered by this. In my mind this met the"wonderful thing" test.

Yes? Isn't petroleum more expensive than zinc?

Well, was it a Silver Maple Leaf? Those have a $5 face value, but contain an ounce of silver, which is worth a little over $20 these days. Hopefully a bank teller would have known that. Or maybe this happened when an ounce of silver was worth about $10 (not that long ago.)

Edit: I should add that the bank teller would still not give you more than $5 for it, but a coin shop or a collector would pay you for the value of the silver.