Plastic pennies: 100 for $3.49

We have similar kinds of coins here in Canada; they’re $9.95 for a 100.

…and filled with chocolate.

1 Like

At less than a third of the price, why not just use real pennies? Is it lossage? Hazards of swallowing zinc? What?

1 Like

Lossage mostly, some student are prone to stealing. We never lose plastic money unless it’s actually lost. The pennies may make the least sense but where the dimes and nickles and quarters cost the same they make so much more sense for us.

in before who steals plastic pennies just don’t start there.

Now if mark had made this an article about why dont we have 3d printers and plastic fab in every town for low price, I’d be like omg you’re a genius.

3 Likes

I guess if you’re mixing them in with twenty or thirty dollars’ worth of other plastic change, and using them as an educational tool (because you don’t want the little bastards making off with your REAL money), then plastic pennies are just part of the deal.

Other than that, I’ve got nothing.

2 Likes

Correct in the presumptions. The hook line was it contained one or more silver ounces thus worth more then its face value. The bank teller announced its face value. Though (and I left this part out for comedic relief value) within a minted set, still in its wrappings, would be worth more, TO A COLLECTOR.

Retailed the 5 dollar coin would still cost more then 5 dollars at purchase. As coins higher then 2 are considered rare, in Canada.

Pennies, which have been outlawed in Canada since last year, a hoard of them would fetch a pretty penny if still ‘non-senile’ on cash in day.

I have a few rolls to the right bidder.

You poor fool. Your descendants have, no doubt, already , readied, the commitment papers, regarding your glib confession.

1 Like

Unfortunately, if you 3D printed these same 100 pennies it would cost much much much more. I like the idea of 3D printers, but they are still in the “look i just made a cracker jack prize for $30” phase.

5 Likes

Thanks for the extra info, but I’m still not sure you’re following me. That Maple Leaf, if it’s what you bought, was not just a collector’s novelty, it was an ounce of silver bullion. It was worth whatever an ounce of silver was worth (possibly around $10 when you bought it?) even if not in a special wrapping. Another example is a Gold Eagle, a U.S. coin that contains an ounce of gold (>$1300) but has a face value of only $50. I guess my point is, I don’t think the guy on the street was a con man, I think he was just trying to sell you an ounce of silver.

2 Likes

They were a gift, I’m not sure that people have anything ready for me. It’s not like they’re my retirement plan.

Please don’t call my students little bastards, you have not earned the right to do so.

1 Like

So much for the efficiency of private industry. The government only needs $2.10 to make 100 pennies.

3 Likes

I was going to pick up some poker chips to use with the card game, Three Dragon Ante, when my partner pointed out it would be cheaper to just use pennies.

This is a test for teachers. If they buy them, they aren’t allowed to be teachers anymore.

1 Like

Oh, cheer up.

1 Like

Disadvantage: Some airport screener with a room-temperature I.Q. will pull you aside for suspicion of counterfeiting.

1 Like
1 Like

great for pranking allomancer friends!

1 Like

what’s a penny?

Gadget’s niece.

2 Likes