Another Safe Opening Adventure Over on Reddit

Guy finds a floor safe in his new house. Goes to Reddit/howto for advice, and reports back the results, after two locksmiths spent 4 hours breaking it open.

howto

https://old.reddit.com/r/howto/comments/13koakp/update_how_to_open_a_floor_safe_without_a_key/

2 Likes

Should’ve called Lockpicking Lawyer.

6 Likes

Hope they found something more exciting than a dank square of carpet!

4 Likes

They did. The safe contained quite a lot of badly damaged cash, about $2600 counted so far.
Note that the safe was opened in four hours, not almost a year.

At least some $CDN. Canada hasn’t printed paper $1.00 bills since 1989.

Discussion centres around whether these can be exchanged for new money.

4 Likes

I’m no banker, but I’m thinking they should be able to exchange them if at least one of the serial numbers is intact?

I live pretty darn close to Canada, so I am aware that there aren’t paper $1 or $2 bills (thus Loonies and twonies), but Canada also no longer mints pennies. I still find the dang things in my change on occasion. You want them back or should I just pitch them into the Detroit River? I’m going on the paddle boat cruise on Monday…

2 Likes

Nah, I’m good. Drop one in a Tim Horton’s coffee and make a wish, then use it to scratch a lottery ticket?

2 Likes

Often, yes:

2 Likes

I like this exception to the <50% rule:

“Fragments and remnants presented which represent 50% or less of a note are identifiable as United States currency but the method of destruction and supporting evidence do not satisfy the Treasury that the missing portion has been totally destroyed.”

2 Likes

My favorite part is “petrification” as a common means of destruction.

1 Like

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Is that a new thing? I never go to Timmy’s because everything tastes like cardboard on this side of the river. :disappointed:

2 Likes

I’ve never been to a USian Timmy’s, so I can’t compare. Some of the Canadian products aren’t bad.

1 Like

I have done the comparison. Timmy’s serves food in Canada!

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be in the safe thread?

Wait!!! Why is it locked! I leave for a few days, and someone locks the safe thread!!!

Comedy Central No GIF by Broad City

@orenwolf

2 Likes

I just opened it for you. Get to it!

2 Likes

Misha Collins Crying GIF

1 Like

Thanks- We can’t let the safe thread lock. Look how much trouble it took to get it unlocked last time.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.