Cable One used customers' credit scores to decide how good their Internet would be

Speaking of that, how goes The Plan? Well, I hope.

1 Like

Every damn day

1 Like

Extremely! I have a quickly developing band of plucky sidekicks locally and they’re putting together a whole new website for me (with multiple entry points, so each will be tuned to the motivations of the specific group we’re trying to describe/appeal to) :slight_smile:

A sub-group of them is working on the VC pitch and a couple of business ideas to start up a little campus to ‘seed’ things here in Madison in parallel, so we’re going through all the business options…a couple of them are super-popular with the local crowd so they’re adding a bit of energy to it.

It’s all excellent. For me the whole thing was kind of an obligation and I never realized how much fun somebody could have with it or how good just having something useful to work on can be to some people!

1 Like

Excellent news! Please do keep us posted.

1 Like

My goodness, a headline on Boing Boing is not supported by the referenced material? What are the odds on that?

4 Likes

Will do!

I’m kind of excited to see what everyone comes up with now. I feel like I’m half just there to answer questions and half there for the ride. :slight_smile:

The one thing that seems a trifle surprising is that they don’t appear to have gone for the cellphone-style approach of designing ‘prepaid’ service tiers for undesirables. If your pricing structure is based on reeling them in with an attractive offer upfront and then turning the screws(which has been my experience with cable ISPs at least), then you wouldn’t want poor credit risks who will probably drop out before the harvest; and you wouldn’t want to provide a ‘free’-with-contract cable box or the like; but unless you actually have to do an infrastructure upgrade to serve the location, I would have thought that you could build a cheap enough cable box, and manage account settings cheaply enough, that you could make more money selling some sort of prepaid cable service to a given location than not selling to that location.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’ve got an idea: Let’s quantify the gap between the speed tiers that a cable ISP puts on the market and the measurable speed their infrastructure will actually support as a form of Debt. This Debt could be scored and displayed as a negative number on the screen during their television commercials.

1 Like

It also says in the original article that they’ll still sign them up for the product, they just won’t spend money on customer support for them.

“We don’t turn people away,” Might said, but the cable company’s technicians aren’t going to “spend 15 minutes setting up an iPhone app” for a customer who has a low FICO score.

I think this might be the aspect people are upset about!

To your credit, you at least read the original article, unlike whoever wrote the BoingBoing headline, which is a complete fiction. Might was speaking about their video service, not broadband.

Problem?!?

This version of capitalism is based on the incredibly successful ** cancer-model:

• infinite growth, regardless of any externality or long-term effect

** successful provided you are not alive and thus don’t require a social or natural environment in which to live

Fine for corporations or cancers, less so for cellular life forms…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.