Your cable operator is spying on you and selling the data from your set-top box

[Read the post]

1 Like

Are they deliberately TRYING to give people reasons to cut the cable?

6 Likes

“It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself – anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face (to look incredulous when a victory was announced, for example) was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime, it was called.”

11 Likes

Well, maybe your cable operator is spying on you, but not mine - I don’t have one, never did.
One English TV channel and one French, over the air, was good enough for me when I was a kid and we hadn’t heard of colour TV, and it’s good enough now.

/ just keep your hands off my Netflix, though…

4 Likes

No worries for me either.

19 Likes

Obligatory

In Soviet Russia, TV watches you!

1 Like

Excellent quote. Orwell was remarkably prescient. 1984 contains all one needs to know to understand modern politics, the psychology of the masses, and is a how-to manual for ways to control them.

1 Like

I’m curious when they were ever trying to keep customers. Cable’s business model has always been to shift customers from one package deal to another to avoid the crazy full price of their product.

1 Like

Amazingly, ATT offers no way to get their U’verse content without agreeing to their monitoring all your internet for targeted ads, OR, you pay an extra $35 a month for no monitoring. For me, it’s TWC on Roku or device.

2 Likes

Comcast is not up front about it, but when you read the fine print, your new modem is a dual one. Partly for you and partly for their WiFi on the go network.

So yes, you pay to rent a machine that is literally working for them. And if you want to use the WiFi network, it’s only another $79 a month.

They do give you an hour at a time, free, two times per month, which I found useful while I was moving and hadn’t installed my own wifi yet.

Hold on to your 3 year old modems as long as you can, no matter how often they insist it’s no good any more. Your next on will just be supplying them free nodes.

1 Like

That explains them fighting tooth and nail to prevent freedom of choice over set top boxes…

Was it goes prescience, or have our masters been reading 1984 as an instruction manual, rather than a warning?

3 Likes

You can always bring your own modem and wireless router. With what you pay to rent a modem from them, it will pay for itself in a year or less.

If you want cable but don’t like their cable boxes, you can stick a CableCARD in a TiVo or build a DVR PC. CableCARD is a one-way service, they have no clue what you are watching.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.