California bans use of "Redskins" as a team name at public schools

Not precisely as it also had connotations of pre- vs post-lapsarian man with all the ambivalence that created for a 17th century Christian mind.

1 Like

As far as the reservations are concerned, no. And the term “native” does not really apply to a non-colony nation. But how about genocide against a large group of people? The Jews come to mind. The Roma people also have a claim, considering the fact that half a million of them fell victim to the holocaust and they’re still at the receiving end of discrimination.

I’ve been asking for the mechanism that makes the analogy not fit.

Let me make clear that I do not contest Native American’s right to object to appropriation. Even if it was a unique phenomenon of Native American culture to object to cultural appropriation, that would be good enough reason to stop.

I see a genocide, I see a power differential, I see reservations, and I see people who feel offended by cultural appropriation. And I am asking how the first three caused the last point, but the regulars most likely to know the theoretical explanation of the mechanics seem instead to suspect me of not knowing about genocide, power differentials or reservations. Frustrating.

Racial Reductionism. That is the answer to your question of, “how we got from there to here”, and, " what is it called".

There will be a quiz this Friday :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Would it not be easier for you to attempt to understand what cultural appropriation of a subjugated population is, versus this rather sophistic angle?

I can explain what appropriation would be like to you, but asking me to “disprove the mechanism” of Austrians not displacing Jews and then creating a “Strong Jew” mascot with costume to come out onto the field and make “Jew noises” out of some fictional Liene Reifenstal film to rile up stadiums before a match… that’s an odd way around.

Now that I think of it, there was a “Running of the Jew” scene in Borat, if you want to see the concept realized.

2 Likes

Pre-scientific Europe created a theory of the other based on biblical sources. Geographical location as a result of the fall and degrees of sinfulness were the criteria used to define a hierarchical view of closeness to God. In the popular imagination outward (genetic) differences were markers created by God. Mediaeval maps had been redrawn in the 16th century and land was found and people were found in places which seemed to have no biblical explanation. One theory was that as the Bible was concerned with the fall and redemption that those not mentioned had not suffered from the fall and were in a prelapsarian state. Jews and blacks suffered from a greater degree of sinfulness than Christians, but aboriginal peoples though free of original sin did not need salvation. Hence pseudo-scientific theories could be used to exterminate people who are inconveniently in the wrong place in the 19th century.

1 Like

Feel free to provide any answers to related questions that will enlighten me.

Please do. If I can’t get the point of my questions across, maybe I can pick the answers I’m looking for from whatever else you’ve got to say.

Huh? Disprove? I haven’t asked you to disprove anything. Nor have I asked you to prove anything. I asked for the explanation of a mechanism that I see at work.

I failed to parse that. “Disprove the mechanism of Austrians not displacing Jews?”
Note that I’ve said before that I am not talking about teams that turn an entire people into mascots and call themselves “The Redskins”, “The Indians” or “The <insert tribe name here>”. I’m talking about names like “Warriors” or “Braves”, which draw upon a two-dimensional, historically inaccurate, stereotype of native warriors of the past and turn that into a mascot. The latter is cultural appropriation, the former is just… strange and offensive.

That scene is [designed to be] offensive on so many levels that a “The Braves” mascot is not. The offensiveness in the Borat scene is so pure and distilled that it would still be perfectly offensive when directed against the privileged majority population of a powerful nation that has never been a victim of anything. I see no well-intentioned but ill-received appropriation of culture in the Borat scene.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.