California drought is no joke: state imposes first mandatory water restrictions in history

are you implying we should switch over to beer for most water related uses? Cause I am down!

3 Likes

It’ll probably work better than Brawndo.

2 Likes

and also

8 Likes

You seem to be mistaking your fellow commenters for Google.

3 Likes

How much of Wales would that be?

3 Likes

Covered in double-decker buses?

2 Likes

On football pitches

2 Likes

11 Likes

Found this same fact listed on the EPA web site, but it’s deceptive – fairly certain they are only counting water as coming directly from the tap in that quote.

If you consider the amount used otherwise (manufactured goods, etc, and especially animal agriculture), the amount of water required per person is much higher.

Can’t the irrigation efficiency of almond trees be improved?
Almond trees produce energy and protein. Golf courses and lawns are a waste of water and fertiliser, not to mention oil. The original Scottish golf courses are on marginal land that is no use for anything else.

2 Likes

Where is the part about banning fracking? Or bottled water companies from bottling and selling our water out of state or, even worse, back to us! Or the part about almond production. O those nuts…

3 Likes

Why California isn’t building dozens of desalination plants? The first line from that link is very descriptive:

After twelve years of planning and over six years in the state’s permitting process

Also read the second article in the news section, “Could Desalination Solve California’s Water Problem?” Basically, it’s expensive, San Diego will be paying around twice as much for desalinated water as the next most expensive source. And it requires a lot of electricity. Long Beach canceled a plant 4 years ago because of the cost of electricity. Heck, they built a power plant right next to the Carlsbad desalination plant. Reducing demand is by far the simplest method. Though it says there are about a dozen plants in the permitting process right now.

1 Like

You’re only looking at one output. I would wager the per-acre economic benefit for some golf courses is much, much greater than an acre of almond trees. If it’s true, then it makes sense to put golf courses over the almond orchards and import almonds from some place else (because of comparative advantage).

Plus, have you seen a typical golfer? Lots of protein there.

1 Like

I believe Farmers in Northern California are not going to grow any crops this year and instead sell their water rights to LA.

3 Likes

Are you serious? Do they actually have any large scale bottle water plants in the drought stricken regions? I understand that bottle water shipped in from areas outside the drought area would be more expensive, but come on.

Your figure is based on a nominal depth of 2m. FINA prefers 3 m. (needless to say, olympic swimming pools are not all that common…)

3m * 25 m * 50 m =3750 cubic meters=990645 gallons.

It was mentioned that desalinization is expensive but it is practical in that it is expensive water vs. no water at all.

I done with Almonds. It’s like plastic bags, not worth the effect on our environment.

Do they actually have any large scale bottle water plants in the drought stricken regions?

Nestle, of course.

4 Likes

What does “water they already own” even mean? Water naturally flows THROUGH most places on its way from one place to another. That’s why water rights disputes are so contentious.