California governor Gavin Newsom signs right-to-repair law

Originally published at: California governor Gavin Newsom signs right-to-repair law | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Well, he did one good thing this week… : |

15 Likes

Would have been awfully weird of him to veto a bipartisan law that passed almost unanimously in the legislature and also received the blessing of major corporations like Apple. But I know what you mean.

But WTF, game consoles are exempt from this law?? That’s BS.

13 Likes

And several shitty things.

12 Likes

Unfortunately, yes.

6 Likes

And agriculture equipment?!

Also this part

Although the Right to Repair movement sees this signature as a significant milestone, we are disheartened by Governor Newsom’s decision to veto Senator Dodd’s companion Right to Repair powered wheelchair bill on October 7, citing insurance billing complexities. The need for an accessible approach to repair is evident, and we remain hopeful that the next legislative session will expand on product categories and address issues like parts pairing, electric wheelchairs, and e-bike software.

8 Likes

So what you’re saying is that the law is really not all that useful?

11 Likes

Aka John Deere and their tractors-as-a-service scheme. And others.

14 Likes

Exactly. I haven’t read a whole lot about it, but what I have read sounds like a right to repair is needed to curb some extreme abuses by those companies

8 Likes

Glad to see we’re not committed to batting zero this week.

4 Likes

What a shitty happiness!

2 Likes

:confused:

3 Likes

Yeah this sounds like the CCPA when it dropped for data privacy. Sounds good on paper as similar to GDPR from Europe, but CCPA has a lot of exemptions and little teeth because the Big Tech lobbyists all got input on it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.