Right to repair law, America's first, approved by New York legislature

Originally published at: Right to repair law, America's first, approved by New York legislature | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Oh, interesting!
I just found out that we’re trying to get a similar thing onto the 2023 ballot here around automobiles since so many of the manufacturers now limit who can access the computer diagnostics.
https://mainerighttorepair.org/
I had no idea how big of a deal it was.
Fingers crossed.

14 Likes

It’s not the first, but it is a little broader in application than the one that was passed here in MA, which was more focused on automotive repair. This bill is mainly about car repair also, but can be interepreted to cover a lot more.

7 Likes

I’m “repairing” right now.

2 Likes

Back in the '60s, I wouldn’t buy a piece of electronics unless it came with a circuit diagram.

2 Likes

I’m repairing to my workshop.

1 Like

A big part of this kind of bill is access by farmers to their equipment.

8 Likes

Now I’m imagining some kind of ridiculous malicious compliance where I get a circuit diagram for my entire computer, down to the last nanoscale via. “To fix this error in transistor #1,247,531,968, add 3 arsenic atoms.”

2 Likes

Or a maliciously compliant device that a company may actually try (probably has already tried.) “To start, remove the housing using the patented fastener removal device available from our offices for $500 (plus shipping and handling.)”

2 Likes

Nintendo manufactures its hardware with screws you need specific types of screwdrivers to remove. They don’t themselves offer the drivers for a ridiculous markup, but anyone looking to repair a Nintendo device has to go out of their way to get the appropriate tool.

It’s still in committee.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.