California lake trashed, University of Oregon students suspected

Why can’t they trash their own damn backyard and leave CA alone? Jerks.

3 Likes

Given the amount of stuff - it seems odd. I can get a tent or a campsite - but 90+ tents?

This smells like a rival frat putting money together and playing a prank. I can actually see the movie script writing itself.

2 Likes

Apparently they haven’t realized that while society trashes the world generally, we’re polite and orderly about it and prefer to destroy ecosystems far away and indirectly rather than literally using it as a dumping ground. (That’s why we have zoning!)…

1 Like

Maybe they’ve evolved. They’re just using the trash branded for a rival fraternity to cause trouble.

1 Like

AFAIK, when I was in school, the main reason to join a fraternity or sorority was off-campus housing relatively cheap. That, and periodic keggers.

1 Like

3 Likes

Several times! I’ve managed to not write “DO YOU WANNA DO SOME BLOW MAN?” on anything every time so far, though.

2 Likes

I agree. Which is why I don’t think they’ll ever identify the culprits. They’ve obviously all been murdered by Jason.

Edit: Dammit I should have finished reading the comments before posting. I was beaten.

1 Like

Yeah, but no one hasn’t written something stupid on something? Made a sign? My ex-wife and her friend made a sign/flag for their canoe - The Filthy Whore.

“Leave no trace” is an important rule for the Scout and and for criminal endeavors everywhere. I guess these guys are just a bunch of rule-breaking rebels, though.

6 Likes

Also; on the theory that this was a prank and a conspiracy to frame this fraternity. This would seem to be pretty easily solved, if not for any supposed culprits than for the innocence of the current suspects. If there are really 90 tents, how many of the fraternity members have alibis for the weekend, with witnesses? How many of their smartphones track their movements? Did any use a credit card to pay for gas or food on the road trip this excursion would require?

Also: it seems fairly inconceivable 90 tents and associated gear wouldn’t include some labeled with the name and contact information for the owner, or for a recent owner, plus any scraps of paper that might identify their owner.

Mind you, if this is a frame-up job, it’s remarkably elaborate. I could see a dozen tents - but 90? Although on the other hand I don’t understand abandoning the stuff if it’s not a frame-up.

If this isn’t the obvious suspects, it should be possible to clear them in fairly short order. I’m guessing it won’t be possible to clear them, because it probably was the obvious suspects.

3 Likes

Cleaning up after “Occupy L.A.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/sideshow/30-tons-trash-left-behind-occupy-l-tent-170807692.html

From your link:

personal belongings left behind after the early morning Los Angeles Police Department raid

I can kinda see how that might happen.

Not that I condone leaving a mess in any case, mind you.

13 Likes

Did Trump organize a camping trip recently?

This looks like the biggest, classiest camping trip ever!

6 Likes

Sure, I’ve done (and seen done) plenty of stupid shit while drunk. But we always cleaned up the morning after. Everyone understood that if you leave evidence of your drunken shenanigans lying around all day, you’re gonna get mocked. Which is exactly what’s happening here.

3 Likes

Yeah, it turns out that when you arrest people, they are no longer available to collect their personal belongings. Who would have thought?

20 Likes

Happens at every festival as well. Tents are cheap as shit if’n you just want something to cover you while you get wasted outside in the summertime.

1 Like

This is how you get ants.

6 Likes

How old are university students in the US?

Oh I can totally see myself leading my scout troop (13-16 years, both genders) on a trip there for clean up. But then, if we had the 1000$+ per person to make a spontaneous trip from Austria, we could just get a real tent instead:

As a European, I don’t know much about American fraternities, but I can tell you one thing: their portrayal in exported American media is so universally negative that they really shouldn’t care about their reputation any more by this point.

Strange. What does an adult’s irresponsible behaviour in California have to do with their academic success in Oregon? Wouldn’t it save a lot of headaches for universities in America if they just refrained from taking responsibility for their students’ behavior?

2 Likes

I mean, liberty and equality are pretty much banned already, so why not complete the set?

2 Likes