California prisoner beheaded cellmate and guards didn't notice for hours

“…didn’t notice Osuna wearing a ‘necklace made of Romero’s body parts.’”

It’s hard to fault the guard, those could have been anyone’s entrails.

7 Likes

I think that’s the order on the charge sheet-- murder is punishable by more prison time than torture, so there you go. He pled guilty, so the details are not as generally known as they would have been.

6 Likes

There’s a podcast series on Jamie Osuna.,

The monstrous levels of callous incompetence shows everything was working as normal!

7 Likes

I mean, one shouldn’t judge people on their appearance and all, but if you went to central casting to ask for ‘guy who would probably kill you and wear you as jewellery’, well, he would look kinda like that. I would probably task someone with keeping an eye on that feller were I a prison governor.

5 Likes

A corollary of Clarke’s Third Law—sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice?

10 Likes

Between the photo of the guy and the info in the story… it is astonishing just how deeply frightening human individuals can be.

1 Like

…bungling its investigation

Now look here, I won’t claim to be the new Poirot or my generation’s answer to Sherlock Holmes but…If I found a dead prisoner who shared his cell with one (1!) guy who was now wearing body parts even I might be able to close the case before tea time.

7 Likes

im sorry, and i’ll probably get tagged, deleted, etc

but explain to me how the death penalty does not fit for this guy?

1 Like

Probably because

Osuna has been transferred to Salinas Valley State Prison’s psychiatric inpatient program. He has been diagnosed with unspecified schizophrenia spectrum, antisocial personality disorder and borderline personality disorder, according to the newspaper.

A judge has ruled that Osuna is not competent to stand trial for Romero’s death.

8 Likes

As the_borderer said, guy ruled not mentally competent. But clearly we need some sort of other program where he won’t be a danger to other inmates.

Like I have said before, people like Ted Bundy or Tim McVeigh deserve death. But I am willing to let them live out their days in prison because too often the system gets it wrong.

2 Likes

Explain to me what apart from satisfying the call for bloody revenge a death penalty solves?

I mean, it won’t bring the victims back, it won’t give “closure,” it does not deter from crime…

5 Likes

Some Evangelical sects require that murderers give their lives if they are to go to Heaven. That leaves new questions that will go unanswered.

Even if they are right, Jaime has zero interest in going there.

1 Like

how hard is it to put him in a separate cell by himself

1 Like

I imagine that

means at least that.

Sounds like a little more training is needed, Cal DOC. there were a few things there that may have been clues that something was not right.

Because Life Imprisonment (or suitable treatment) serves the same purpose… and execution is irreversable.

All of the above, and also because using the apparatus of the state puts the responsibility of taking a human life on all of us.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.