California's Lake Berryessa is spilling-over into its Glory Hole

10 Likes

Or bound, California sex-tourists.

4 Likes
4 Likes

All this talk of wetness and spillways and weirs has me thirsty.

Not that kind of thirsty. All y’all need to get your minds out of the gutter…

6 Likes

That was fascinating. Thanks.

1 Like

I actually thought it and the dam are smaller than expected.

2 Likes

To quote Marv from Home Alone,

“Wow! What a hole!”

2 Likes

Was that glory hole made for whales?

2 Likes

This kind of spillway was frequently used on early XX century hydropower dams. Here’s one from dam built in 1910 in Silesia, Poland:

I love the how it looks, especially with thunderdome-style protective cage. Also notice that there are no welds - everything is hot-riveted.

The dam itself is built from stone, and looks really nice too:

7 Likes

Is that

?

3 Likes

More fascinating: Why did it turn up on my YouTube home page the day before this article?

2 Likes

Yes, it is :slight_smile:
I was there with a friend who designed hydroelectric dams for a living, so we could also tour the generator building. 100 year old machines were beautiful and awesome:

We have also seen ones in Pilchowice, Złotniki, Bukówka and Lubachów and a whole lot of other interesting stuff.

The area has also has a lot of German WWII tunnels (some of which have been turned into museums) and weird military installations (notice, how large that thing is):

There are even WWII tunnels under the Książ castle, that are open to tourists.

5 Likes

Or someone tossed a Bag of Holding into a Portable Hole…

3 Likes

Okay, now I’m a bit jealous… a behind-the-scenes tour with an expert is always much more fun.

3 Likes

Especially the stories that he wouldn’t tell on a public tour.

2 Likes

Home Alone 2, actually. I’m ashamed I know that.

4 Likes

The dam isn’t too big compared to other dams, but that gloryhole’s 72 feet across.

I’m gonna call “big enough to drive a truck into” as pretty big…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.