Call for boycott after the actor who played Mulan in the reboot supports Hong Kong's brutal police crackdown on pro-democracy protestors

“Commitment” issues, perhaps?

*lolz

(And yes; the Nib is awesome.)

1 Like

The most important part

" In April 2016, Chan was named in the Panama Papers."

3 Likes

Damn you and your thoughtful analysis. We demand knee-jerk reaction and poorly considered rhetoric!

1 Like

Not sure if the USA really was ever the target for this Mulan reboot.

2 Likes

Of course China builds a surveillance system. You need that because the pool of have-little is vastly bigger than the pool of people who flourish under a regime. The latter are less prone to challenge the regime anyway. Even the few US billionaires who express critique against the state of of the system propose only minor adjustments. So the pool of people who flourish despite the regime is even smaller and much easier to be controlled, you don’t need a mass surveillance system for them. Because they probably already have an individual handler.

You do need a mass surveillance system to steer the middle class towards conformity, so they don’t get stupid ideas of their own or by spreading dissent from upper class rogues.

2 Likes

Anarchists have always been great friends with the CIA. /s

The last few years have taught me that it is hard to get people to pay attention though, and it can only be harder with a competent and experienced dictatorship in power.

9 Likes

Such a gentleman.

5 Likes

Jackie Chan posted awhile ago as a “protector of the flag”. The Chinese flag. :frowning:

So yeah, it is a bit disappointing. But from a different perspective, maybe these people have a lot to lose if they become an enemy in the eyes of the state of China. it is easy for us Americans to chastise China and support Hong Kong. We have nothing to lose.

If I lived/worked/or had relatives IN China, I think I would hesitate coming out against them. I mean they literally have re-education camps for Uyghurs right now in 2019. (Chinese Muslims). They have made a lot of progress with the loosening of regulations and giving more freedom for the average person - but they still have an authoritarian government.

6 Likes

This whataboutism is offtopic. Start your own if you want to, Though I suggest you also consider not alienating your fellow community if you want any substantive conversation.

You know, it is sorta what aboutism… but also not really.

If someone is REALLY going to boycott a film because one actress in it holds a view you don’t like supporting a state position you don’t like - while continuing to consume the massive juggernaut of products from China (which often times the state has a hand in), then yeah, it comes off pretty damn hollow.

What is the issue here? An actress supporting China, or China’s bad actions? If the problem is the Chinese state, then why are we focused on one actress? Or any of the other celebrities who come out to support the country they live in/are from/identify with as a culture. They are just the well known faces of a massive nation. And while one may disagree with their opinion - it is a VERY common one in China.

5 Likes

Calling them “Chinese Muslims” obfuscates the fact that they are a quite distinct ethnic group, being much more closely related to the various Turk people of that region than the ethnic Chinese who constitute the vast majority of Chinese citizens.

4 Likes

Jackie Chan is from Hong Kong, so as things stand the most he has to lose is his career and business opportunities. He chooses to be “patriotic” and loyal to the Communist Party.

1 Like

Well, yeah, it was a simplified description. China has multitude of ethnicities, cultures, and languages within its borders.

I recall he is from Hong Kong. And IIRC he is considered the most famous movie star in the world, as more people have seen him in movies than any other person. If they banned his films in China it would be pretty bad for him. I mean he could still act in America, but Hollywood has become increasingly catering to Chinese audiences because it is a huge market.

3 Likes

Or might have family still in China and at risk.

When you’re fed enough propaganda saying terrorists, etc. are fomenting instability and rioting in the streets, then it may become hard not to give it some credence. The one thing Chinese media is not doing is reporting what is actually going on let alone why.

3 Likes

Sure, but the starting point was that she was an US citizen who should know better. Ignoring that her actual connection to the US is rather slim and that lots of US citizens believe the most outrageous stuff.

I’m sure that the pro-China counter-protestors were completely spontaneous. :thinking:

6 Likes

Maybe someone in her position might be expected to “know better” but even if you do know better, if you get a call from China saying ‘it would be helpful for you to speak up, what with you still having family here …’
I’m not saying this was the case - I do not know and most likely nobody else does either.

But I would not put ANY such shenanigans past the Chinese state.

4 Likes

I don’t need to boycott something in order to embarrass someone who is terrible fucking ignorant jingoist.

Crystal Liu is the actor

Actress, actually.

But I will write you a pass because gendered English grammar rules are so bullshit that native speakers still run afoul of them.

“Actress” is gradually becoming a deprecated term for female performers, just like few medical professionals still go by the gendered “doctress” and few pilots still use “aviatrix.”

8 Likes

What. I have never heard this word.

I thought this was just used to sound coy and sexy (invoking “dominatrix”). This is real too?

Carry on then.

1 Like