Call for boycott after the actor who played Mulan in the reboot supports Hong Kong's brutal police crackdown on pro-democracy protestors

Well, that is what you get when your company is in bed with a brutal dictatorship, when it shits the bed you are gonna be on a sticky situation.

Fuck Disney, fuck China, fuck Trump and all the fascists, and fuck Disney again for being their enablers and whitewashers.

10 Likes

a reminder Chinese government can get any Chinese celeb to do anything they want by simply threatening their family

why would she even give a damn about any politics in Hong Kong otherwise, most actors know their fans come from all backgrounds and are somewhat careful not to offend, this is rather suspect

9 Likes

Over the top, but not exceptional. These two memes, which Liu did not originate, have gone viral on Chinese social media.

2 Likes

Hey, and I thought that Disney was being all “apolitical” these days?! :crazy_face::money_mouth_face:

4 Likes

When I lived in shanghai in 2000-2003, I had similar conversations on a regular basis with an intelligent 40-something coworker who had studied in the UK for three years, no less.

She also tried to tell me that I couldn’t access the BBC in China (blocked at the time) because I was probably typing in the address wrong.

The idea that either thing might be because of government propaganda was outside her zone of comprehension.

The younger Shanghainese, who had figured out VPNs to get round the blockade, were much less credulous.

13 Likes

Hiring more children!

13 Likes

The guy I’m talking about is in his early 30s.

4 Likes

My daughter would not know or care who Mulan is without my wife pushing it because she liked it as a girl. In fact, my daughter still dosen’t care. Live-action remakes of 90s IP is trying to capture adults’ money, not kids’.

I would like to say I’ll boycott, but it would be hollow since I knew I wasn’t going to it in the first place.

Instead, I’ll say that over the years I’ve met both Chinese people who want to live free, and Western-educated people of Chinese descent who want Taiwan brought under heel and don’t care much about democracy. Nationalism isn’t limited to the brainwashed or timid: some people are genuine, thoughtful bastards. They made their choices. One could make excuses about how they might be under duress, but - since people under duress generally just shut up - it’s more likely they’ve just bought-in to the corruption.

7 Likes

I’ve only got a 7 year old kid, but I’ve found that “no”, works reasonably well.

But then their exposure to movies has been limited to about ten movies in about 15 movie nights - with Star Wars banned for another 3 years at least - and, admittedly to about roughly 250 episodes of various kids’ shows.

Yes, there are some annoying discussions, or rather annoying whining because some decisions aren’t open to discussion yet, but it’s not too bad, as we offer a range of substitutions. So it’s not “This movie or nothing” but “not this movie, but one of these two”.

But I doubt that these real life versions are aimed at kids. Looks more like nostalgia appeal to me or for young adults.

2 Likes

Stealin’ that meme for future use; thanks.

As for the topic at hand, I already don’t patronize Disney if I can help it, anyway… so ‘boycotting’ Mulan is super-easy for me.

8 Likes

Wow, that’s disappointing. The indication was that the younger generation were becoming much more woke.

1 Like

Well okay but the bulk of her market is in mainland China, and the whole situation seems to be diverging towards a catastrophe.

China will keep increasing the pressure. Hong Kong people will keep pushing back and when it breaks there could be thousands of deaths. Makes me sick just watching it happen.

Jackie Chan seems to be trying to keep his head down, anyway.

1 Like

First of all, as has been pointed out to you, this boycott is organized by the Hong Kong protestors. Last time I checked, Hong Kong was neither a Western nation nor a member of the United States. But moving on from your misrepresentation of facts, a boycott is not pushing anything. It’s choosing not to support something, which is literally the opposite.

Although I personally don’t intent to participate in boycotting Disney, and I had no plans to see Mulan, I can recognize the difference between joining a boycott organized by the aggrieved parties and imperialism. I’m also aware that Disney is an American company, but perhaps you were innocently unaware of that and not just playing fast and loose with facts again.

Your self-superiority to your straw man is duly noted. Good work.

11 Likes

He made it clear where he stands years ago.

5 Likes

My two nieces are Chinese, adopted soon after birth by my stepmom’s sister and her husband near the end of their 12+ year stay in China (likely about the time the animated Mulan was released), so I’m sure they watched it on dvd before.
I’ll be talking to them in the near future, so it would be interesting to get their viewpoint. They had a slightly difficult time growing up in Pennsylvania, and their mom is a mild activist, so I’m sure they’re watching the developments.

8 Likes

Oh, my kid loves the original animated film… which she owns secondhand on VHS.

As a corporation Disney is almost impossible to avoid, but directly giving them my money is another matter.

9 Likes

I do sometimes wonder if some form of coercion might be at work. The government of China being like, “Such a successful girl! Your parents must be proud. Let us hope their good health continues. Unrelatedly, there is a thing we were hoping you could do for us: So sad about those poor police in Hong Kong…”

1 Like

I have lived in China about 7 years now. I can tell you that no coercion was necessary, the vast majority of mainlanders agree with the government’s official position on Hong Kong, including those with VPNs and Western educations.

3 Likes

I have now pinned The Nib site to my taskbar. For me, that is stronger than marriage.

1 Like
6 Likes