Chinese streaming edition of Fight Club has new ending where state authorities triumph

Originally published at: Chinese streaming edition of Fight Club has new ending where state authorities triumph | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

30 Likes

It could have been worse

10 Likes

I wonder how common this is in China for pre-existing movies. Definitely not unprecedented. I saw a 2002 version of the Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs (which is the movie that Scorsese later re-made as The Departed) that had a very obvious tacked-on ending for the Mainland Chinese audience where the authorities show up and arrest all the criminals.

15 Likes

Well, I guess we’re talking about it now

6 Likes

Well, I have been re-educated.

20 Likes

That’s up there with the “love conquers all” 95 minute cut of Terry Gilliam’s Brazil!

13 Likes

If Trump stayed in power, the ending would be that they realized the true enemy was non-state media, and don’t believe your lying eyes the financial district is safe.

2 Likes

“…and then the government handed out ice cream cones.”

8 Likes

Before Americans laugh too much, consider how often foreign movies have been remade in an American setting to be viable for an American audience.

17 Likes

So it’s a theme with them? Does the Chinese version of Star Wars have a tacked on ending where [the Empire rapidly figured out the whole plan and arrested all criminals, successfully preventing the Death Star from exploding]?

24 Likes

Definitely. Three different anime series were spliced together to be released as Robotech in the west.

Localization is a thing that even gets mocked in the states (just look up 4Kids edit memes for an example)

10 Likes

new ending where state authorities triumph

Not the way I remembered it.

10 Likes

Well, Brazil also did a 180 in its ending: HOW TERRY GILLIAM FOUND A HAPPY ENDING FOR 'BRAZIL' - The New York Times

5 Likes

35 Likes

11 Likes

That’s easy enough to take care of by just subtlety tweaking the language in the dub/subtitles. Clearly the revolutionary comrades gloriously defeated the Imperial capitalist menace.

15 Likes

Rebel Alliance will be translated as “People’s Revolutionary Alliance”.

10 Likes

So ummm in the book, the bombs didn’t go off either. Just saying.

10 Likes

27 Likes