Trailer for new 'Godzilla' movie looks pretty cool

[Permalink]

Looks like more of a Godzilla for traditionalists, after the likes of the Devlin/Emmerlich movie, Cloverfield, and Pacific Rim. And Bryan Cranston seems to be making good use of his go-to expression, that of being utterly aghast.

3 Likes

I got the Pacific Rim feel too, especially with Godzilla near the bridge (Do bridges make monsters look bigger?)

Anyway, Iā€™ve already decided Iā€™m going to watch this, Iā€™m just trying to keep my expectations fairly low, seems like the healthiest thing to do.

Practically obligatory:

6 Likes

Why does every blockbuster have to start with the military mobilizing and on the move.

1 Like

Because the military pays Hollywood to produce its propaganda:

http://www.salon.com/2011/08/29/sirota_military_movies/

6 Likes

So that young, impressionable adults enlist.

5 Likes

Money.

I really really hope this Godzilla movie ends better than the previous one where she got tangled up in a suspension bridge and shot to death with conventional missiles and cannons.

1 Like

Was that a Rodan in there?

1 Like

Parts of it were filmed near by - So good or bad I will probably end up seeing it.

Typical. You list all the other actor credits, but donā€™t mention the name of the guy wearing the monster suit.

5 Likes

Dear Hollywood, Iā€™m sick of seeing the same movies ā€œreimaginedā€ every few years, can you please finally have someone who isnā€™t a hack direct a kick-ass Ringworld or Known Space series before I die? Wachowski siblingsā€¦ Iā€™m looking your way.

6 Likes

Because defending America against physical invasion is kinda their job? Itā€™s not like theyā€™re gonna go ā€œCommunist alien robot monsters are attacking! Eh, not my problem. Pass the bong, Ned.ā€

3 Likes

The Grand Budapest Hotel is delightful and original. And it does have special effects, although maybe not the kind you were expecting/

5 Likes

Somebody needs to make a supercut of all of the times the Golden Gate Bridge gets destroyed in SciFi movies.

7 Likes

I was thinking about all the mangled Statue of Liberties. (Statues of Liberty?)

4 Likes

Well, people have some idea of how big a bridge is, roughly (at least a really famous bridge like the Golden Gate) - so it helps give some concept of just how big the monster is. And also, my theory is that monsters just think itā€™s fun to destroy suspension bridges. All those cables everywhere! Sproing sproing sproing sproing!

7 Likes

Nice to see Rodan too!

2 Likes

bring on the pants crapping! thanls Xeni for causing me to laugh SO hard at work, that I snorted water out of my nose.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny how EVERY SINGLE MOVIE of this kind has to give a tip ā€˜o the hat to Planet of the Apesā€™ Statue of Liberty. :smile: