Can it be true? A working 'Dick Tracy Wrist Watch'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/18/can-it-be-true-a-working-di.html

2 Likes

I’m assuming you’ve also got a spacetime interociter and a chronosynclastic infundibulator on that list?

I sure hope the Dick Tracy wrist radio has a CRM 114 discriminator!

PS: you can still get pneumatic tube systems if you have the quatloos.

1 Like

I’m holding out for the magnetic air car, myself…

I’ve heard that calibrating it can be tricky

2 Likes

Not for people with incredibly high foreheads.

2 Likes

Making a working Dick Tracy watch as a maker type project should be doable, main concern is audio and getting a good signal. I myself am not technically savvy but it’d be cool to see someone make one and document the build :slight_smile:

As a non-giant forehead person this is a hard pass for me…

this-island-earth_4

1 Like

Wouldn’t the main concern be that a single 2-way wrist radio is utterly useless?

3 Likes

Is the DK space coupe next up?

scoupee

Hey. Wait a second…

hovercraft

2 Likes

As soon as somebody ships a huge triangular monitor, I’m building one.

2 Likes

Most of the cool stuff i like is useless. Doesn’t bother me none.

2 Likes

If one has the power to calibrate a thing, they can destroy a thing. (Sorry, Mr. Herbert.)

1 Like

Don’t forget to build in death lasers into it.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity i did a search and there isn’t a triangular LCD display… but it is entirely possible to find or make a triangular one. It just won’t have high resolution unless you go big. Here’s a quick example i found on Alibaba for one that isn’t giant.

It might also be entirely possible to get around the issue by using a projector instead, though projectors don’t typically beam video in triangles either but i think it’s a problem that could be fixed easier than making a custom LCD or LED display. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm… there’s an interesting idea, I have a tub full of old projectors, I could mask portions of the lens. Thanks!

Came for the hand-drawn label, was not disappointed.

(I’d be disappointed, though, if the real watch doesn’t have such a label floating nearby)

(MAD Magazine)

3 Likes

No problem! It’d be cool to have a proper screen but using a projector is infinitely more simple which i think any fan of that movie would appreciate an easy execution of the idea. Anyway if you do give it a try make sure to document and share :smiley:

2 Likes

Welp, that only took 86 years to turn into a reality.

At this rate we should get functional web-shooters by about 2048.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.