Can we talk about how good the new A Tribe Called Quest album is?

I mean, I get it. I’m no jive turkey. I’m down with the kids’ music.

I basically decided a long time ago I didn’t want to stagnate on any particular decade of music or genre and to always keep an open mind and explore as many genres and decades as I can. I mean, yeah, I definitely have sonic profiles that I’m partial to, but I always try to keep an open mind and stay on top of emerging music trends. I’m always down to listen to something different.

I realized a long time ago (before I saw the correlating research) that just about all “popular music” is basically the same – sonically and lyrically – since “popular music” became a thing. And also nearly everything that has been popular in the past few decades has been written by a cabal of the same 20 or so writers.

That said, Drake, man. I just don’t get it. I’ll leave it at that and try not to completely derail this thread.

I haven’t listened to the new ATCQ album yet, but I will later today once I’m done listening to Major Lazer (my reggaeton horn reference in the air horn thread has left me feeling like I need more dub inspired music in my life.)

2 Likes