What was hot in pop culture in June of 1998

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/22/what-was-hot-in-pop-culture-in.html

6 Likes

One of the better years in my own life, if not in pop culture.

9 Likes

21 Likes

True, but I was expecting “I’m hot in pop culture right now!”

8 Likes

I was expecting some content, but just a montage? Dude’s gonna get a million views for 15 minutes’ work.

2 Likes

I must have blinked and missed most of that. The blink was the better option.

9 Likes

Wow so much I was out of touch on already by then at only 30 years old.

ETA wow 20 years since Intergalactic and Rockafeller Skank… well I feel old now.

15 Likes

A couple of highlights, and a big pile of crap that I still don’t like; probably just like everyone else.
But today I learned that Detective Scully was in The Truman Show. Truly, you learn something new every day.

6 Likes

It’s also 20 years since this.

OK, technically it’s 19 years and ten months.

8 Likes
1 Like

I was 11 then, and also already out of touch, so there’s that

4 Likes

I recognize almost none of that.

In '98, I would have been 29, just coming up for air after grad school and discovering that the world had been going on without me and wasn’t all that fussed about my return.

8 Likes

To me the 70s and 80s seemed different from each other. The 90s came it all started to flatten out. The 00s and on all really seems like the same pig - different makeup.

9 Likes

And @TobinL… are we the olds now?

9 Likes

I know I think that every time I hear The Ramones played as the background music at the grocery store.

12 Likes

GTA 4 had the Black Crowes on the Classic Rock radio station. Ridiculous. I mean, they were around only twenty… six… years ago…
Damn.

10 Likes

Or early 80s synthpop… which I"m kind of obsessed with right now. I blame the Moog factory for that.

The few times I go past the classic rock station, they place grunge music now, Nirvana, Sound Garden Pearl Jam, etc…

8 Likes

Yep, that’s how it goes.
I prefer to think of it as if we levelled up.

6 Likes

10 Likes

It depends what you are listening to. The major label end of the music industry hasn’t moved much, but the small label side of music is where the creativity is at. This is as true of today as it was in the 80s and 90s.

5 Likes